Wooden fractal curve puzzles

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/04/wooden-fractal-curve-puzzles.html

6 Likes

I wonder why this guy hates David Hilbert so much

4 Likes

Because Hilbert grabbed Infinity by the horns and wrestled it to the ground.

5 Likes

It was weird watching the Kickstarter video, hearing the background music, and not seeing brass being machined while a pleasant Australian narrates. I’ve been conditioned by Clickspring.

OK, wait a minute. That third puzzle there. There’s a problem.

2 Likes

Gödel would have to say one thing about this.

4 Likes

Here’s another nice fractal jigsaw puzzle by Oskar van Deventer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SbOYXQ2x6I

1 Like

Yes.

Hilbert was a hero, to be sure.

But Gödel … Gödel walked, talked, and reckoned with the Angels. (And paid the price for his genius – a genuine tragedy.)

4 Likes

My knowledge is very much limited to brief stints on wikipedia but I thought Giuseppe Peano discovered the first curve.
David Hilbert hasn’t been overlooked though, the Hilbert curve got it’s very own puzzle in the batch I released last year. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m having trouble understanding how everyone else does, uh, not see what you and I are seeing…

1 Like

I didn’t actually think you hated Hilbert, I was just being whimsical. But the Hilbert curve is better known, I guess because it is simpler to code, and/or because CS types are familiar with Hilbert from his role in the creation myth of computing.

3 Likes

I’m sure it is a coincidence. Nothing to get in a furor about… :wink:

1 Like

I wonder why this guy hates me.

Hilbert’s stuff, to me, is already too complicated to grasp.

“To infinity… and beyond” would be a duly fitting motto for Cantor, as I was told. But for Gödel, infinity is not enough. I’m not religious, and your metaphor is a bit lost on me, but it definitely sounds about right.

1 Like

I absolutely did not see that. I had to go back to see what you were talking about.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.