Wordle is “too hard” after New York Times took over, say users

yeah…I just checked that myself and got agora

technically the word list could be the same and the algorithm tweaked to weight “harder” words. though that’d be needlessly complicated

Sunday’s word shouldn’t have been hard. And it still took me six tries, but that wasn’t because it was a rarely used word. So that’s on me, not the word list.

2 Likes

I’m having a lot more fun on Quordle. There is also https://www.octordle.com but four is enough.

3 Likes

Todays the first day that the old version and the NYT versions differ. Apparently NYT removed some words from both the solution and the guess lists.

But any perception that it was harder after the transition is pure nocebo effect.

Edit to add: It’s still all in javascript, so I pulled the js files and compared. There’s 6 possible answers that were removed, and 19 additional valid guess words (that are not possible answers) removed, so I suspect it’s the same algorithm, but at some point they’d diverge due to different lists.

4 Likes

I’ve been playing this for 4 or 5 weeks. It has not gotten any harder. The last 2 days were words which used a letter twice. I have a friend who started playing just a week or two ago, and she didn’t realize that could happen, and so she got stumped. That’s all that happened here. A bunch of people who just started playing relatively recently just discovered sometimes a letter is used twice.

3 Likes

I got no problem with wordle. I lost yesterday because I always thought you couldn’t use a letter twice and cynic tripped me up. DAMN YOU WORDLE!!! But at least now I am on to you.
So they should just make a smart version for the Times and a dumb version for the New York Post or the national inquirer or whatever

1 Like

I just feel today’s wordle could have been the obvious word, considering what number it was.

1 Like

I thought that as well when I first started playing…had a small win streak going, then lost on the first double letter word. I had even told someone you couldn’t use double letters when describing the game.

1 Like

I’m waiting for the questionably spelt PAYWAL

1 Like

Why do I think the GOP and Qanon will now step in and rant about the NYT’s wordle?

1 Like

“ultra” isn’t a goddamned word.

1 Like

Merriam Websters and Cambridge would beg to disagree with you. It can be used as a noun or an adjective or an adverb these days, as well as a prefix.

Words… those little bastards never stay fixed for long.

3 Likes

There are versions that let you set 4 to 12 letters with a slider so there should be a similar n-ordle where you can choose however many simultaneous words you want. Allowed guesses is always n+5.
Once it got to four I found it more efficient to just fish for letters with the first couple words. I haven’t lost a quordle yet with that strategy and usually end up going 4-5-6-7. Today was 4-5-6-8 because I wasn’t brave enough to brake.

1 Like

1 Like

Today’s wasn’t hard either, only there were too many possible words with the 4 letters i already had, so i guessed wrong.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.