Workers rights and unions

19 Likes

I wonder what sort of slap on the wrist consequences for Starbucks that MIGHT bring about.

6 Likes

Interesting reports about unions at businesses in general / Amazon in particular, and how increasing numbers of warehouses affect workers and communities:

12 Likes
12 Likes
12 Likes

Good for them! A lot of hospitals in our area (which, sadly, are just about the only places that are unionized in healthcare around here) are due to have contract negotiations begin within the next couple months. Management has already tried to stall as long as possible to try and decrease any leverage that nurses and staff may have. This is going to be delicious.

I work in healthcare, but unfortunately we’re not union. Talk of unionizing has been going up a LOT in the office after we didn’t get the supposedly guaranteed COLA increase (and our “amazing” 4% raise that you really aren’t able to get). Heck, even staunchly anti-labor people I’ve talked to have said shit like “God, if only we had someone who spoke for us to management!”

I almost spit out my drink.

12 Likes
17 Likes

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

11 Likes
17 Likes

The idea that people weren’t getting paid before they got on the plane is astonishing. I know amazon had won in the fight to get the time spent in required security theatre as paid time, but this is actual work that would otherwise have to be done by someone getting paid to do it. How is this even legal?

10 Likes

I imagine your question is rhetorical. Our capitalist overlords legalize and normalize all sorts of cruel barbarity.

9 Likes

If the reporting I heard on the radio was correct, it’s not even just not until they get on the plane, it’s not until the doors are closed, and then after landing, only until the plane gets to the gate. So all that stuff they’re doing while we board, helping, prepping the service area, that’s all unpaid. It’s ridiculous.

14 Likes
10 Likes

You know, even if I only had 5 or 10 million dollars, I would just go fuck off somewhere and not bother with people anymore. Why are people like Musk that way?

19 Likes

Huge egos, for one thing, and he seems to see himself as a reincarnation of John Galt, capable of significantly advancing the human race, etc. He’s also likely as greedy as most wealthy people, never enough you know, even when you’re “the richest of them all.”

13 Likes

dan levy comedy GIF by CBC

Look At Me Reaction GIF by WWE

Yes, but coupled with some serious insecurity, I’d argue.

11 Likes
12 Likes

BTW, keep an eye on your cereal boxes. Even non-Kellogg brands are shrinking the boxes. (They shrink the boxes and put it on sale, then slowly cancel the sale.)

13 Likes
12 Likes

This year’s theme, “Gilded Age New York,” 
 Encouraging the obscenely wealthy of today to cosplay as the obscenely wealthy

14 Likes