Workers rights and unions

11 Likes

Also, holy shit!

Between 1881 and 1900, 35,000 workers per year lost their lives in industrial or related accidents at work

In 2020 it was under 5K. Though there are surely way more people working now.

But, sure, government and regulations are the devil and will only hurt us.
:roll_eyes:

ETA: this is a US stat.

15 Likes

More Activision Blizzard lawsuits coming:

10 Likes

Another case from the tornado tragedy in IL last December reveals how Amazon treats warehouse workers:

12 Likes
15 Likes
8 Likes
13 Likes

from

21 Likes
  1. The cruelty is the point.
  2. Obscene profit is um yeah the other point.

Solidarity and collective action are part of the answer.
Understand intersectionality is everywhere.

Fight the power.

ETA:

10 Likes

Even the Susan B. Anthony List is critical of Amazon! (<heaviest></s></heaviest>)

Excerpt from an SBA List email, forwarded by a, um, concerned relative (“Have you seen this?!”):

Amazon has a notoriously bad track record of how they treat their employees.

And now, they’re willing to spend $4,000 to ensure their female employees kill the baby inside them so that they don’t dare disrupt Amazon’s profits by becoming mothers!

(It was the first “Have you seen this?!” email I’d received in recent memory. I sent 'em this in response:)

9 Likes

:person_facepalming:

8 Likes
13 Likes

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/10/house-gives-green-light-to-staffer-unionization-00031543?_amp=true

House gives green light to staffer unionization

The Congressional Workers Union has labored behind the scenes for months to jump-start the unionization process among House offices. And they’re not alone.

13 Likes
15 Likes

I guess they beat the Atlanta location that is also trying to unionize! Good for them!

13 Likes

Our local/area Starbucks locations are also some of the 14 in the state who’ve filed paperwork with the NLRB. Our city has been historically pro-union, so fingers crossed that this is just the beginning of a revival!

Side note: my husband and his coworkers voted to unionize early last year and filed with the NLRB. It’s a long slog. Still waiting on a contract that may never come. Apparently, while the company can’t fire anyone, they don’t have to give raises or be forced to negotiate a contract. The owners also tried to keep the majority of employees from being included with editorial staff (“content producers”), but fortunately the NLRB ruled in favor (twice) of including photographers, graphic artists, copy editors and office staff with the writing staff.

17 Likes

Oh, good luck to your mister!

11 Likes

It’s happening from coast to coast to coast:

I know they have a long slog ahead, but good luck to them!

13 Likes
15 Likes

As workers across the U.S. attempt to unionize and walk off the job over brutal conditions and starvation wages, an analysis released Sunday found that the median pay package of top U.S. CEOs jumped to $14.7 million in 2021—the sixth consecutive record-breaking year for executive compensation.

12 Likes