Workers rights and unions

Can’t WAIT to finally hear that the minimum wage will be raised from 7.25 to 8.25.

Gradually, that is, over the next ten years. :weary:

11 Likes
9 Likes

Oh dear.

9 Likes

Assholes. It’s not the trade union that’s grinding things to a halt. It takes two to tango.

14 Likes

Crush unions.
Deregulate everything.
Privatize formerly publicly-owned government services.*

A Reaganite-Thatcherite redux.
Have we learned nothing?

Definitely need to be Brexited before you can fully strip workers in (UK? GB?) of their hard-won rights.

Step 3. Profit!
(except that The Greed Community has already been profiting from the post-Brexit misery anyway)

12 Likes
7 Likes

Lipman added: “We are going to find, identify and curate this incredible talent coming from America, but we’re applying the K-pop system, the JYP system in developing a super group, which we’ve never seen before.”

A2K will consist of a competition process for American and Canadian hopefuls ages 12 through 16 and will take place across five cities. The in-person auditions will take place in Atlanta (Sept. 10), Chicago (Sept. 14), New York City (Sept. 17-18), Dallas (Sept. 20) and Los Angeles (Sept. 23–25).

Contestants who make it to the next round will be chosen to go to A2K‘s boot camp in Los Angeles. Semifinalists will then travel to JYP’s headquarters in Seoul, South Korea and will train intensively with top executives, choreographers and producers to hone their skills. The winners of the competition will make up the final members of the super group.

Yeah, I can see quite a few ways that this can go sour if it’s anything like this nearly 15 minute video (content warning about topics regarding s******e) Jake Tran put out last month about the lives of kpop trainees.

3 Likes
7 Likes
10 Likes

Maybe Alabama can steal a page from Arizona’s playbook and just offer Starbucks the fabulous opportunity to use prison labor.
/s

9 Likes

Alabama has a long ugly history of prison labor, well before Arizona was even a state, and it hasn’t stopped yet. Hell, Arizona might have been inspired by Alabama…

I don’t see Starbucks “employing” prisoners (yet?). Customer facing work like that makes it harder to hide the abuses. Doesn’t seem on-brand for them.

7 Likes

Ye gods.

See also Oklahoma, Mississippi, Arkansas, Indiana, Iowa, California, Kansas, Idaho, Minnesota, Nebraska, Montana, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas and Utah:

Well… I did put the close sarcasm tag ( /s) by my text. I was being… sarcastic. Not serious.

I don’t see Starbucks overtly having convicts out on work release at their fancy Starbucks counters. It would undoubtedly conflict with their branding.

On the other hand, 2022 ain’t over yet and who TF knows what Starbucks is going to do besides… oh… collectively punish union efforts and union members who staff their stores and drive-throughs.

This week has been full of weird news at my jobs, so I am reminded that life is full of… surprises and I should avoid making assumptions about anything.

10 Likes

I’ve added Chipotle to my anti-union blacklist. I don’t miss Starbucks, but this will be more a test of being true to my values. I guess now that steak burritos are > $10 pretax here, it won’t be that hard…

Does anyone else have examples of food chains or manufacturers that have been outed for union busting?

4 Likes
5 Likes
13 Likes

21 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes
9 Likes

Living in fear: The corporate staff exposed to corruption by their employers

7 Likes