Workers rights and unions

samara weaving comedy GIF by Showtime

7 Likes

You might be able to make them show up for work. But that doesn’t mean they’ll do any work.

8 Likes
8 Likes

Amtrak’s response to a possible freight rail strike:

7 Likes

Vacation time!

(Because freight is often the reason passenger trains are held up)

3 Likes
7 Likes

They call it that in the US too.

7 Likes

“Work to rule” is another strategy. Thats not my job!

6 Likes

16 Likes

These millennials with their avocado toast and time with loved ones. Back in the day people used to rise up early in the morning and work on the railroad all the livelong day. Some didn’t even care about the money, they were just there to pass the time away. You don’t see billionaires wasting it with families, do you?
(/s)

12 Likes

The railroad workers are also not allowed to schedule time to go to the doctor. Some have been fired for having heart attacks or getting Covid. The robber baron mentality has remained.

7 Likes

20 Likes
7 Likes

While the EU has many, many faults (well its big two are that it’s a neoliberal trade federation and that it’s primarily run by the elected governments of the individual countries with lots of vetoes and they are very, very often a bunch of rancid arseholes) it has a proven track record of improving workers rights in countries that have really poor standards. Yes I am looking at you Ireland which was forced into equal pay legislation due to joining the EU. One of the big pieces of legislation was the Working Time Directive. EU countries all passed enabling acts to implement these policies in local legislation. It’s important at setting minimums for paid holidays and maximums for amount of time you can be made work. It should be much better but it did improve things in places with shitty standards (hey Ireland again!). This is first thing on old timey undertaker cosplayer Moggy’s agenda. They’ve said this multiple times in the past few weeks.

Cameron talked about it, May did too, the New Management are promising. This effects gig workers, part timers, precarious workers, shift workers, lower paid workers disproportionately. It won’t really effect finance bros or tech bros. And they’re not into unions anyway because no unions works for them as they get all the money. It’s winter with rising heating costs and neoliberal governments are looking at ways to subsidise the war profiteers in the energy industries while cutting taxes for the wealthy. This is merely yet another opportunity to redistribute wealth upwards.

As the Situationists put it: conditions are not only ripe for a revolution, they are rotten.

General Strike must plan a winter offensive

11 Likes

Happy Stranger Things GIF by NETFLIX

4 Likes
10 Likes
17 Likes
9 Likes

When all of the unfair labor lawsuits hit Starbucks like an asteroid they will wish they had just acted like reasonable bosses.

1 Like

This upsets me on multiple levels, though I’m more surprised at the union officials than the WH.

Kicking ass for the working class. Not.

From another topic, this is well-said.

Maybe CNN should talk to an actual worker instead of gaslighting the public

Here’s what one railroad worker had to say:

“The union sold us out so this wouldn’t make the Democrats look bad before the midterms. There’s no other way to view considering Pierce’s statements before this deal,” another worker commented. “Three to four weeks to even write the damn thing up, then time to vote, then most likely an additional 30 days cooling off period after that puts it firmly after the midterm elections for a future strike.”

I guess the workers can rest easy knowing their sacrifice of health care, time, and fair wages until after the election will support the “most union-friendly president in history” and his party.
“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time” -Maya Angelou

eta-forgotten words, grammar

2 Likes