Workers rights and unions

Ye gods! You’ve solved it! No more energy crisis! Let’s dig her up then go piss off some libertarians!

8 Likes

Sounds good, but how long should we wait before the actual piss dissipates?

4 Likes

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

9 Likes

War declared on bosses using ‘omnipresent surveillance’ tools to quash union efforts

America’s labor watchdog says it intends to crack down on the growing use of technology by bosses to closely monitor and measure staff, as it is feared this software may be used to thwart efforts to organize and unionize.

In a memo published Monday, the US National Labor Relations Board (NLRB)‘s General Counsel Jennifer Abruzzo said she was particularly concerned about “the potential for omnipresent surveillance and other algorithmic-management tools to interfere” with workers’ rights to organize, which is protected by the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA).

[…]

10 Likes
14 Likes

Second unionized Starbucks in Alabama is in super conservative NE corner of the state. It can be done!

13 Likes
13 Likes

Some background on this strike: wages for the educational support workers have essentially been frozen for 8 years. The Ford government basically decided to do nothing over the summer, even though a new contract was due. It’s become apparent that their goal is to break the union by denying the right to strike by using Canada’s notwithstanding clause, which basically allows governments at all levels in Canada to short-circuit our constitution in case of emergency (though this is clearly not an emergency). If Ford succeeds, other provinces could conceivably use similarly written legislation to essentially outlaw the right to perform collective labour actions. Other unions are watching closely and hopefully will act in solidarity.

9 Likes

Google cut contractors off from online ‘Share My Salary’ spreadsheet, union claims

11 Likes
5 Likes

Think they’ll try and legislate the bus drivers and support staff back to work as well?

7 Likes

28 Likes

It’s a lot of $10 bananas.

15 Likes
5 Likes
8 Likes

I do wish that the headline was a more accurate “Card game retailers employees"…” since I assume the owners of said retail establishments are not doing any joining (or embracing it)…

7 Likes

A worker’s life could have been spared if Caterpillar had made sure required safety protections were in place, a fact that only adds to this tragedy,” OSHA Regional Administrator Bill Donovan said in the release. “Producing more than 150,000 tons each year, Caterpillar’s foundry is one of the nation’s largest and they should be acutely aware of industry regulations to protect workers using smelters and other dangerous equipment.”

Authorities said Caterpillar did not install the federally required guardrails or restraint systems to protect workers from falling.

“If required safety guards or fall protection had been installed, the 39-year-old employee’s ninth day on the job might not have been their last,” officials said.

10 Likes

I think the “Immediately Incenerated” line is there to help the owners convince themselves that the worker likely was immediately killed. But molten iron is dense and people don’t sink into it a la Terminator. The poor chap could hardly have met a worse end.

14 Likes

To me immediately incinerated means “instantly their whole body caught on fire” given the quoted temperature. I don’t think you would last long like that, though I also can’t imagine how horrible those moments would be. Why the hell do companies not take basic and mandated precautions against things like this?

8 Likes

And where was OSHA before this event? Those protections were mandated, one of the largest producers in the country didn’t warrant an inspection, and fines and shut downs when the guidelines weren’t followed?

5 Likes