Workers rights and unions

8 Likes
5 Likes

Speaking of unionized strip clubs, I remember the Lusty Lady: Lusty Lady - Wikipedia They were unionized in the late 90’s and then the workers bought the club in 2003. I didn’t realize they’d closed.

1 Like

AI is great at one thing: Driving next waves of layoffs

Digital transformation expert on mass layoffs: I would have expected more from tech

Ads for lucrative jobs in Asia fail to mention chance of slavery as crypto-scammer

The FBI has issued a warning about fake job ads that recruit workers into forced labor operations in Southeast Asia – some of which enslave visitors and force them to participate in cryptocurrency scams.

The warning follows reports of multi-storey slave compounds housing unwilling workers in places like Cambodia, and comes eight months after The Register reported on raids by Cambodian authorities that aimed to shut down the scams.

The FBI’s advice suggests those scams are ongoing.

[…]

5 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

Yes! I love that movie.

3 Likes

San Diego MTS bus drivers are on strike today. Good luck to them…and oh, my aching feet.

6 Likes
1 Like

a big damn deal,” said Sen. Erin Murphy, DFL-St. Paul, during a news conference.

The labor bill (SF3035) includes a Democratic wish list years in the making that will affect virtually every worker in the state. The bill mandates paid sick days, bans noncompete agreements, boosts funding for workplace safety inspectors and increases protections for workers in nursing homes, Amazon warehouses, meatpacking plants, construction sites, hospitals and public schools.

Democrats are also advancing a host of other labor bills that will create a statewide paid family and medical leave program, expand unemployment eligibility for hourly school workers and give hospital nurses a greater say in staffing levels.

8 Likes

Amazing what can be done when legislators don’t actively hate their constituents

9 Likes

In case you ever wanted to see Neil Gaiman in a shirt that wasn’t black - with George RR Martin not working on The Winds of Winter and Nnedi Okorafor in Santa Fe…

More on his joining the picket line

10 Likes

I think I have seen that live few times. He looked larger in real life.

3 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

In a lawsuit filed against Activision in 2021, California’s Civil Rights Department alleges that “women were subjected to constant sexual harassment, including groping, comments, and advances, and that the company’s executives and human resources personnel knew of the harassment and failed to take reasonable steps to prevent the unlawful conduct, and instead retaliated against women who complained.” The complaint also accused Activision of having “fostered a sexist culture and paid women less than men, and assigned women to lower level jobs than men.” Last year, Activision filed a counterclaim against the Civil Rights Department, accusing it of ethical lapses in its investigation and of attempting to interfere with the separate EEOC investigation and $18 million settlement reached in September 2021.

The executive says he has been both humbled and outraged by what he considers malicious distortions about the company that he has taken to great heights over 32 years. He makes no apologies for Acti­vision or its culture. He says that the company is preparing to release a slew of data drawn from the EEOC investigation that he hopes will combat the perception that Activision was run as a “frat house.”

For a company with 17,000 employees worldwide, Kotick asserts, Activision has had a relatively low level of harassment and assault complaints. Though he says he’ll release a transparency report that will provide exculpatory data from outside entities, he acknowledges that the stain left by the sweeping allegations will be hard to combat with pie charts and statistical tables.

“We’ve had every possible form of investigation done. And we did not have a systemic issue with harassment — ever. We didn’t have any of what were mischaracterizations reported in the media,” Kotick asserts. “But what we did have was a very aggressive labor movement working hard to try and destabilize the company.”

Kotick places the blame for most of Activision’s image problems on what he calls “outside forces” and labor activity around the company. The Communications Workers of America and Activision employees have filed a stream of complaints against the company with the National Labor Relations Board. Kotick believes labor organizers are influencing the state and federal investigations into harassment and gender discrimination claims, as well as the Activision employee walkouts that have been staged periodically since 2021.

Bullshit Meter GIFs | Tenor

8 Likes
4 Likes