Workers rights and unions

100% Employment laws bank on everyone’s ignorance at every age. You have to be a lawyer to understand most of it, much is left intentionally vague, and for many things you have to go through mandatory arbitration, not direct regulatory remedy.

I’ll give you an example of how it impacts even older/higher salary workers. Let’s say you leave a startup in which you’ve earned stock options as part of your compensation. You have 30 days to execute (and purchase) those options or lose them. The company does not need to notify you of this. For some workers, this can be hundreds of thousands of dollars.

6 Likes

That’s nuts, my previous employer offered us stock, and it vested every 3 months I think, they’re not worth a damn thing unless they go public, but I wasn’t required to do anything to keep them.

3 Likes

I was only even talking about obviously illegal stuff, like being told you cannot talk about your pay rate with co-workers or being asked to do extra work off the clock or stealing tips, but yeah, that too.

7 Likes

My first job in a pizza restaurant, they would have us clock out between rushes if there wasn’t enough to do (part of it was they were trying to be too nice about giving out work and would overschedule). My mom, was pissed when she found out. I didn’t care ‘cause I was playing pinball and shooting pool with friends during the downtime, I was like how is this possibly a bad thing.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

Best Friend Lol GIF by Lifetime

1 Like
5 Likes
8 Likes

Having spent quite a lot of time in Waffle Houses over the years, it’s a demanding job and they have long shifts to be able to keep them open 24/7, and they should be getting that…

7 Likes

Sounds about right. Someone on a minimum wage of around $3000-$3500/month after taxes is likely to be paying half that at least in rent in many places, if not more.

5 Likes
7 Likes
3 Likes

The Coalition of Kaiser Permanente Unions, which represents more than 85,000 workers, said Kaiser is experiencing a short-staffing crisis and that unsafe levels of staffing can result in long wait times, patient neglect and missed diagnoses.

Often in healthcare settings, you will see labor unrest over patient care rather than salary and benefits. (Although these are usually linked.) Understaffed, overburdened providers are much more prone to errors and shortcuts. But the management usually sees it as “minimizing expenses and maximizing profit.” Problem is, most of us went into healthcare because we have a drive to help people, and being unable to do that effectively and safely has a devastating effect on morale. Have I mentioned how exhausted we are? Because we are. I was talking to upper management a couple weeks ago, and the subject came up. I told them that I grew up in WV in a mining town, and saw the bosses treat miners as anonymous, replaceable cogs to be used up and thrown out. I thought I had gotten away from that. I guess I had not. They had no answer other than “I’m sorry you feel that way.” I suggested paying my nurses. They got them t-shirts. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: And this is in a not-for-profit, university system. I have to think for-profit systems are much worse.

10 Likes

Mad Tommy Wiseau GIF by The Room

10 Likes

The CEO couldn’t be bothered to properly pay their talents on time (let alone not hire a minor) but he certainly kept pestering them to play Overwatch with him. There is an hour long breakdown about this trash fire on youtube but i’m not gonna embed it here.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Interesting how many of the so called “ nurturing professions”, historically filled by women, are seen as being greedy when asking for reasonable wages and working conditions. Teachers are doing it because they love kids, nurses because they want to help heal people, social workers want to aid families, and that sharing of love is supposed to be adequate recompense for their labor. Heck, the case that made RGB a force to be reckoned with was a case where a man was refused a tax break for being a primary caregiver. A woman would not have been challenged.
So as said by docsoc above, this gets framed as compromising patient care (which it does).

1 Like

Mild disagree. It gets framed that way because it is. We are operating on a skeleton crew, barely adequately staffed to do our jobs safely. Now, why are we unable to hire new docs, NP’s, nurses? There is where we get to money. I work in primary care pediatrics. My nurses can make $3+/hr more in other fields, or in hospitals, and we lose many that way. Providers (MDs, NPs) in primary care are the very lowest paid of any profession in our fields. Given the amount of student debt most are carrying, making 4-5x as much definitely sways decisions about what to go into. I have not had a raise in 10 years. My nurses have done a little better, but not nearly enough. But in the end, it’s not the check that kills morale, it’s knowing that we are working at a pace that is not sustainable and no one is listening to us when we say this. The attitude here is largely keep working until we can’t, then bail. It should not be like that.

7 Likes
2 Likes