Working mother faces $100,000 violation for parking partially on her front lawn

I had the same reading as you. No blame, just pointing out that it’s the way things are, and implied disappointment (I may have been projecting that last bit).
We could have a whole thread about the destructive classist and racist results of our car-centric culture in the US. On top of the economic burdens and fragility (e.g., your car breaks, you lose your job), there’s the whole loss of rights. When you are in your car, private property, you have no real rights against unlawful search and seizure as compared to in your home. [I know, some people get those rights stripped away even in their homes, but it’s way less.]

I don’t think it’s too late, but I think it’s best addressed at the local level, at least for now. We’ve had some good progress locally getting bike lanes and sidewalks added to any updates to the roads, and working to connect the various public transport systems throughout the state. It’s slow, but at least it’s moving in the right direction instead of further away from it, which is where it will head if we do nothing.

4 Likes

Masochistic gluttons for punishment, maybe. Or, they hate other people more than they love themselves or their families and friends. If they punish everyone, their hatred wins out, yet again.

Don’t forget ableist. I have seen the arguments around car-centricism devolve into two different views of the world that are hostile to disabled people far too many times.

5 Likes

Lantana is not in an especially conservative part of Florida. There are assholes all across the political spectrum.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.