Working mother faces $100,000 violation for parking partially on her front lawn

FFT! :heart_eyes:

It is, but that’s the reality of living in places without adequate public transit. Surely you don’t blame them for needing cars to get to work, right?

23 Likes

from the institute for justice link above:

the citation sets a fine amount, and that amount accrues each and every day until the offender calls the city and formally requests an inspection to verify that the violation has been fixed. But getting ahold of the town can prove to be extremely difficult.

i wonder why it’s so hard to get in touch with the town inspectors :thinking:

9 Likes

I’d say the inspector or the complainant needs to be charged with criminal harassment and the city fined $100,000 for excessive fining.

5 Likes

So, a “speed bump” for a speed bump?

(I couldn’t help it, even though I feel gross now.)

3 Likes

Some years back they implemented a parking policy where you had to park on the street on alternate sides for each day of the week (even/odd).

It was clear as day: Effectively, a tax on the poor. Anyone who had more than a few people living in an apartment or house was going to get ticketed regularly.

Most of the relatively poor people in that town were Latinos, and a lot of them were not citizens. It clearly was a case of, “hurting the right people”, although this parking policy went into effect long before the Trump era.

5 Likes

and for corporate entities.

1 Like

When a HOA gets incorporated into a whole city…

8 Likes

That’s an absurd policy for parking violations. I really hope some pro-bono lawyers can get that rule overturned for her.

4 Likes

The gubmint infringing on the rights of a citizen.

I’m sure Ammon Bundy will come to her aid.

/s

7 Likes

The problem that has gone unnoticed: Having a job equals having a car.

6 Likes

I live in a fairly nice neighborhood and I’m willing to bet that if I simply walked to the end of the block, everyone who hasn’t replaced their driveway in the last 3 years has, minimally, 1 crack. I mean…it’s literally natural!

1 Like

It certainly seems like “cruel and unusual punishment” to me. JFC. :rage:

2 Likes

There are two kinds of concrete flatwork, that which has already cracked and that which is definitely going to crack.

6 Likes

Wasn’t there a ST Next Generation episode where a crewperson on an alien planet was sentenced to death just for walking on the grass (the sentence applied to all infractions)?

2 Likes

It was one of the first episodes, and the crewperson was Wesley.

5 Likes

More accurately: Having a job equals needing a car.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard, comrade.

1 Like

I didn’t read any blame in @winkybber’s comment. Each individual person needs a car, but the collective result is a disaster. It’s everybody’s fault.

I don’t have a driving license, because too many people drive too many cars, and I try hard not to be one of them. But it’s damn inconvenient. I walk, cycle, uses buses, trams, trains, even taxis sometimes. But this choice affects where I live, how much rent I pay, how much time I spend traveling every single working day. And I’m in the lucky position of being able to make these choices. We really need to make some big changes in the way we live. Or maybe it’s just too late?

4 Likes

Of course it was.

1 Like

If they are going to charge a daily fine, they must inspect it daily. Any court in the land would throw this out in a heartbeat.

1 Like