Working mother faces $100,000 violation for parking partially on her front lawn

Originally published at: Working mother faces $100,000 violation for parking partially on her front lawn | Boing Boing

16 Likes

Don’t make me tap the 1998 Tactical RPG.

71 Likes

Fuck the city of Lantana, Florida.

19 Likes

Gotta love those “small government” conservatives …

31 Likes

Fined for cracks in your driveway WTFx100

28 Likes

@frauenfelder You may wish to update the link to the following.

8 Likes

This is almost certainly many time more than a lot of rich people pay Lantana, FL in property and income taxes every year. What a scam. And lots of non-wealthy people keep voting for these folks every single year. I sometimes feel our species must have a core genetic defect that makes us masochistic gluttons for punishment.

7 Likes

No. No I don’t.

16 Likes

So there was a city inspector out at her house every day for over a year to document another $250 fine for illegal parking? This sounds more like plain old harassment. I’m also thinking there is likely more to the story, like some rich and politically connected person wants her land and is trying to force her off of it.

37 Likes

“Working mother of three…” Yup.

4 Likes

It’s probably cheaper to pave the entire front yard than pay the fines.

6 Likes

It totally is, but I’m sure this town has ordinances or codes regulating the percentage of the parcel that can be hardscape. It is a petty fiefdom, after all.

13 Likes

Perhaps a developer is after her land, but she could have a neighbor reporting her every day, too, with their own problems with Martinez or her kids. I def smell a rat, but it’s hard to say who is pushing for this harassment.

15 Likes

I hope that the If"J" can be persuaded to spend all their time and money on cases like these, rather than on their support of a large number of “school choice” cases and their amicus brief in favour of Citizens United.

6 Likes

It is sad that they need to own so many cars.

6 Likes

My immediate thought was: is this just her? Or is it others as well, and is there any pattern that could be identified from it?

3 Likes

Perhaps she could avoid the fine by submitting to sex with the major. https://www.wflx.com/2018/10/25/lantana-mayor-facing-removal-office-or-fines/

2 Likes

5 Likes

Don’t discount the possibility that it’s just a tin-pot dictator of a local official who has decided they don’t like her. I’ve seen it happen.

5 Likes

it sounds like this one dude and his friends have made the town their kingdom. he’s been mayor for 21 years.

in 2015 Phillips filed a complaint alleging that Stewart demanded sex from her in exchange for supporting installation of speed bumps in her neighborhood… the state ethics panel dismissed the case last March

Police were called Saturday after town councilman Mark Zeitler, who is backing Stewart, was caught on cellphone video throwing a Hagerty campaign sign into the street.

Stewart said there has been “nothing but great improvements” since he first was elected, pointing to the $9 million in reserves the town has built up

something tells me he probably has a very nice offshore account going somewhere in case he ever decides to retire

13 Likes