Worldle: Wordle but it's the outlines of countries

Originally published at: Worldle: Wordle but it's the outlines of countries | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Hard mode is doing it without the shape, which is an option on Worldle

3 Likes

I have been doing it. I view myself as above average on Geography, but several times I get the general area, and then just dropping in names I know “are around there”, but have missed some times. :confused: Like battleship, every country around it, except that one.

It took me 4 or 5 tries to get the country my dad’s family emigrated from. But to be fair, they used “Czechia” in the name list, and I am used to Czech Republic. But I learned something new!

2 Likes

I’ve been playing this one, but have yet to be able to complete it without narrowing it down as close as possible distance-wise then looking at Google maps… Edit - somehow I got it in two tries today
The nerdle game I’ve been able to do every day, though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m at 67% right now 6/9 with a relatively even distribution of # of tries. My misses were 2 not having any clue on and 1 for guessing wrong on a 50/50 shot on guess 6, it was either Georgia or my actual guess.

The 2 options for difficulty on worldle are random rotation and no image.

One of my regrets in life is not trying to go into cartography as a career, in my last year of college, 20+ years ago, I took a couple GIS and mapmaking classes and I was good at it and really enjoyed it. But I was graduating.

1 Like

Looks pretty easy:
Admittedly I was lucky, living there (SE).

4 Likes

No spoilers!

I’ve been writing GIS software for the past 18 years. It doesn’t help!

2 Likes

Today’s was one of the easier ones. Wait until you get to place where you have to remember “Is XYZ still a country?”

It is a little humbling - but I don’t feel too bad when I lose. If I can get close in 3, at least I am in the right ball park.

1 Like

Today’s was indeed one of the easier ones for me, but it’s really tricky when it’s a vaguely round blob, with no scale to tell you whether it’s a tiny Pacific island, or Suriname, or Côte de d’Ivoire, or what.

One nice thing is trying to work out whether something is a coastline or a political border – it’s not always that easy!

3 Likes

As a geography nerd I AM HERE FOR THIS!

1 Like

New Zealand was trivial.

Can’t seem to get to the site, but here’s a great geography hint for Americans:

Tanzania is shaped very much like Wisconsin.

This will all end when someone codes up Metardle, the game where you guess which Wordle-formatted concept will be released the next day. On the first day, the puzzle will be to announce Metardle and the internet will fold in on itself. Well, at least the part where nerdy quiz games and javascript-golf enthusiasts overlaps.

5 Likes

No doubt about it. My geography skills are on par with my calligraphy ones, i.e barely enough to get me through school.
It was just funny that the first time I see this puzzle, it shows the country I’m in.

1 Like

The day it is the US, most of us will be like:

Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

3 Likes

Next up, Congressional Districts!

2 Likes

Varies from trivially easy (New Zealand, Finland) to Oh God, this want even a country when I last studied geography (post Soviet states etc)

1 Like

Third was a educated guess…

1 Like

Hmm. I seem to remember consecutive days of Scandinavian countries, one of which you may be familiar with? :wink: