'World's first riot control copter' drone unveiled, shoots pepper spray, plastic bullets

What about water stream from a pressure washer?

…or maybe fill the pressure washer’s tank with gasoline (after replacing the gaskets with a compatible material) and use it a a flamethrower?

Bringing a flamethrower to a strike or protest would serve to justify deployment of these drones, as well as the more traditional phalanges of indiscriminate riot cops.

2 Likes

at some point the american people will begin shooting these weapons of destruction and mass murder out of the air, despite what phony and illegal laws the pieces of garbage pass in the congress and the judiciary . we will shoot them down its only a matter of time now!!!1

How about a radio jammer instead?

Yeah, Internet Tough Guys, UNITE!

“Jam its radio and force it to land…” - suggested that too. The higher-end of that is severing the radio link and spoofing GPS, like Iranians did it with that military drone.

The aim now is brainstorming a wide palette of options to choose from, ranging from passive through benign to outright destructive, biased towards (but not limited to) low-cost and field-improvised, to provide flexibility in an actual tactical situation.

It’s easy to type, but to jam any kind of EM signal, you usually need a fairly powerful device.

Even then, much like the Hunt For Red October, the jammer lights you up like a Christmas, making you a priority target.

2 Likes

Jamming is a pretty deep science bordering and often overlapping with art. (See books by Richard A. Poisel, these are pretty good and many float as PDFs over the Net.) The FM 34-40-7 is also fairly useful.

I cannot elaborate more as I have to run, but thumb through the FM for some hints. It is not easy - but you don’t always need lots of power. And then there are the directional antennas that further reduce the power needed (when you jam) or increase it (when target uses it and you have to be content with its sidelobe).

Electronic warfare is royal fun.

I guess, I was just trying to pump in some more realistic view of jamming.

I imagine a future filled with the kind of techno-babble in start trek like “continual frequency modulation” and such.

You can jam effectively with few microwatts in one scenario (denying signal to a GPS receiver few feet away) and megawatts not being enough in another (a distant receiver of a spread-spectrum signal). It all depends. I only started to glimpse the complexity of this fascinating problematics.

(Thought for counterjamming - weak signal hidden in the stronger one, the stronger one used for baiting the jammers to a predictable behavior, the weak one hidden underneath to communicate through the nonjammed parts of the spectrum. Barrage jamming takes a LOT of energy, so other strategies are usually employed, and these can be subject to deception.)

And if you want really nice technobabble, play the Apollo or shuttle communication records. Or any other comm where both sides work on complex equipment where most parts are identified by acronyms.

(There is a visual version of technobabble too. I was in stitches when in some Titanic documentaroid about the machine room engineers they had a blueprint of its electrical installations, with correct white-on-blue lines but, drumroll please, on closeups it was a schematics of a transistor television receiver! I wonder how many viewers actually spotted that…)

Lots of technical solutions here, but as always, simplicity is best. Get a shoelace and something to weight down either or both ends, and toss it into the rotors. Done. And you didn’t even have to break FCC law with fancy jammers. Although destruction of property is a possibility.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.