World's largest iceberg breaks free and spins wildly after 30-year Antarctic freeze

Originally published at: World's largest iceberg breaks free and spins wildly after 30-year Antarctic freeze - Boing Boing

9 Likes

I’d like a bit of scale here (like a really huge banana, perhaps?) I can do the math and find it’s a 72 km across circle (assuming shape here), but I had to find some distances so I can relate to that. The best I can find seems to be about the size of Rhode Island.

Yeah, that’s quite a chunk of ice!

15 Likes

fortunately it’s already in the ocean, so it won’t cause the sea level to rise. not that it isn’t a sign of what’s in store.

i see what you did there

8 Likes

We’re gonna need a bigger Martini.

17 Likes

Iceberg right now:
Dog Spinning GIF

17 Likes

15 Likes

Based on the sorts of measurements featured in this thread…

…I believe that this iceberg is the size of an extremely largish-small gigantic half of an average-sized Olympic swimming pool’s meteorite. Roughly speaking.

8 Likes

What’s that in football fields?

6 Likes

An American or European football field?

17 Likes

Presumably short for “DOA23a”.

5 Likes

That’s about 1/5 of a Wales - it’s enormous!

7 Likes

Can you see it from space? Can we put a hypno-swirl on it?

2 Likes

loading symbol GIF

3 Likes

I see your hair band…

and raise you one talented band singing a relevant refrain*:

And if you listen now
You might hear a new sound coming in
As an old one disappears
See the world in just one grain of sand

You better take a closer look
Don’t let it slip right through your hand
Won’t you please hear the call
The world says

Put the message in the box
Put the box into the car
Drive the car around the world
Until you get heard

(Maybe drive an electric car.)

… World Party records were notable for their persistent commitment to green and environmentalist issues, initially at a time when this was unfashionable. This eventually extended to the no-frills, no-waste, communitarian-based packaging for Arkaeology, assembled by Wallinger and his own family and friends at home.[28] Wallinger’s perspective on these matters has been labelled “prescient and heartfelt, a fervent post-script to ’80s consumerism,”[7] and “well ahead of the times.”[20] Wallinger himself has commented “I wanted to personify the world and sing about her. I always thought it would have been great if Otis Redding’s “Try a Little Tenderness” had been about the planet. Plus, if I stand on top of a mountain Julie Andrews-style, the hills do seem to be alive with the sound of music. You can say whatever you like about eco whatever, but if you fuck up the environment you’re going to die.”[7]

Yep.
He was from Prestatyn.

GIF by DP Animation Maker

Karl Wallinger, you are missed!

5 Likes

By definition, is this stuck in a gyre?

2 Likes

Not shaken. Not stirred. To effing big.

2 Likes

72km is about 514285 linguine (or 7809 doubledecker buses if you prefer British measurements).

6 Likes

I came here specifically for this song :laughing:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.