World's tallest spokeless Ferris wheel opens

Citroën DS 19. 1955.

Thanks. That makes more sense to me. Frankly, I have more than a little interest in Ferris wheels: I’m actually a fourth-generation Ferris wheel operator. At one point my grandfather, uncle and I were all setting up a Big Eli #5 (c.1960) cable-drive ferris wheel in Northern Ontario. I ran that wheel for more than a decade of summers.

My grandfather used to “Rim-walk”, that is, climb out of the seat at the top of the wheel, then walk along the outer rim of the ride as it slowly turned.

We have pictures of my great-grandfather running a wooden Ferris wheel.

I think we’d all agree that the London Eye is far more interesting from an engineering perspective as well.

9 Likes

Comment changed to something less wrong.

Grandpa had stones.

5 Likes

Only at the exact top of the circle, for a vanishingly short period of time. There is a reason vomit comets fly parabolas about 20,000 feet tall…

2 Likes

Everyone’s a winner
Place your bets
The view it goes
Unspoken

1 Like

I don’t even do regular ferris wheels; there’s too much time to consider all the mechanical failures that could possibly happen while you’re waiting to get off the ride.

1 Like

Hunh. It doesn’t even have roller coaster running through the center.
(Big O from Tokyo Dome City.)

3 Likes

It’s not a ferris wheel! It’s a rigid structure, that doesn’t even turn. What dfaris said above is right. This is a creeping slow roller coaster, with the gondolas riding a track running along the outer rim of the arch.

3 Likes

The original Ferris Wheel had cars the size of train/cable cars. Ferris Wheels that only seat one or two people per car are the modern anomaly.

There were 36 cars, each fitted with 40 revolving chairs and able to accommodate up to 60 people, giving a total capacity of 2,160.

I’ll bet you earned your current title with this post!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.