World's "ugliest color" will be used on cigarette packs

I definitely remember a time when refrigerators in the U.S. were painted a very similar shade of “world’s ugliest color”… we kept food in there ladies and gents! Food!

I too have a deep dislike of most yellowish colors (and pinks). Your swatch is definitely uh… effective. I believe this color used to be called “Harvest Gold.” Hmm:

http://www.deweycolorsystem.com/how-colors-you-hate-can-lead-to-a-job-you-love/

Which color do you like the least: Yellow, blue or red?

You like Yellow the least

What it means: You’re exceptionally goal-oriented and clearly grasp the objective at hand with determination and focus.

Success tip: Rushing a project with a “now or never” push can create a crisis. Slow down or later on an apology or redoing something will be your reward.

Interview power: Never wing it on an interview. Research before you go.

Avoid co-worker clash: Always start conversations from their point of view, not yours.

Best jobs for you: Wherever deadlines are essential; such as operations manager or medical doctor.

[eyeroll]

They left out taxi driver (more yellow!), train station manager, air traffic controller and reporter. Oh and every student who has had to hand in a term paper in on deadline.

Vaguely amusing chirpy feature with zero citations:

Pairing this ochre and “world’s ugliest color” together and you pretty much have most upholstery colors from the 1970s except for avocado and an alarming shade of muddy orange.

1970s geometric supergraphic textile by German designer Elsbeth Kupferoth

5 Likes

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I actually get nostalgic when I see colors/patterns like that!

10 Likes

This. And airport carpets…

3 Likes

Wow. About 99% of the 1970s sets my teeth on edge. Except for some of its music.

Well… to each, her own!
Here’s lookin’ at you, kid:

4 Likes

Baccy Brown sounds better

I always though the diarrhoea colour was worse:

than the brown

3 Likes

Citroen are also doing fine work in the field of ugly, shit-coloured cars these days.

4 Likes

I know which airport that is!

1 Like

No ochre, but have this.

I made it tile fullscreen and my eyes went funny.

2 Likes

Yeeeeeesh, that is painful.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s good. I feel it in my bowels. Or, at least in the back of my throat.

The ‘world’s ugliest color’ is the color of my skin… that color is more brown than green. Lord, it takes so much energy every day not to hate white people as a whole.

4 Likes

I like a brown car. The last Mini Clubman looked excellent in Brown.

Also, if the Allegro had been a Fiat or Peugeot I think it would be more fondly remembered.

2 Likes

Some cars can look really nice in a deep, rich brown. And having had a quick look, I agree, it does.
The Cactus though… I’ve seen one in a much more olivey-brown with beige “pleasure-ribs”. I’m torn between coveting one for it’s sheer breath-taking ugliness and wanting to nuke it from orbit.

If it had a Lancia or an Alfa badge, I reckon it would be considered an all-time classic. :slight_smile:

Lancia’s don’t come in brown, they come in rust.

7 Likes

Give me some mud and I will paint the skin of Venus, provided you allow me to surround it as I will.

Delacroix

1 Like

It’s not that bad… honestly. Colors are pretty amazing if this is the worst of them.

Yeah, I had an Allegro once. It cost thirty pounds, wouldn’t start in the rain and I you opened the glove box, the entire dashboard fell off. Had an avocado green Ambassador too (dubbed ‘The Ambastador’). It was a nice car when it worked. Had a tendency to dieseling though, so it would sometimes keep running for five minutes or so after you switched the ignition off. Lovely comfy velour seats though. Aaaaaah, BL. Such wonderful bad cars.

1 Like

They weren’t actually that bad, IMO. And that 1.6 engine could be shoehorned into a Mini, which was entertaining.

It may interest you to know that I’ve been told (by a rep for BAT no less) that they saw a spike up in sales once those packs appeared. Now, take that with a spoonful of salt of course, since it was a rep for BAT, but he wasn’t trying to sell me on smoking at the time, just stating what they’d observed happened when the plain packs appeared.
Of course, the counter argument that “they fought so hard to stop this because they knew it would work”, does seem to hold some weight.
I think it’s more about deglamorising smoking, so people don’t take it up in the first place.

2 Likes