Writing lessons from Tom Stoppard's script doctoring on INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/19/writing-lessons-from-tom-stoppards-script-doctoring-on-indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade.html

6 Likes

I love Indy and I love Stoppard, so this is a treat. In hindsight it makes total sense that the dialogue of this movie was written by someone like Stoppard.

ETA:

Some scenes were filmed but omitted during the edit, like an extended chase through the Zeppelin in which Indy and Henry are pursued by a gestapo agent and a World War One flying ace.

I want to see that footage!

4 Likes

I’ll wait for the analysis of Revenge of the Sith.

4 Likes

Agreed! Though I still haven’t read or seen Arcadia, and I know it’s supposed to be excellent.

2 Likes

His best work, even ahead of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern in my opinion. I’ve never seen it performed either but I’ve read it countless times.

I have seen Rosencrantz and Guildenstern at the Old Vic, though, and it was excellent.

3 Likes

In the original draft, Vader yells “Noooo!”
In the rewrite, the script doctors sought to heighten the drama by adding more O’s and exclamation points: “Nooooooooo!!!” This made the moment far more meme-able.

2 Likes

My freshman year of high school, the drama teacher decided we should do “Arcadia” as the Spring production. It was such a travesty that halfway through rehearsals she jettisoned the plan and changed the play to “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged).”

Looking back, I guess I applaud her ambitions?

5 Likes

that’s a different play,.

4 Likes

(Bookmarking to keep all of this information in mind). Really, REALLY good write up of the changes and why they work. This was fantastic, there’s a wealth of useful information here for any writer, but particularly those working on screenplays.

1 Like

Really enjoyed that, thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.