Xenophobic UK politician ranting about "political correctness" gets a public spanking from an historian

Isabella, Duchess of Lorraine (mother of Margaret of Anjou) holding the traditional panier d’ hérisson (hedgehog basket), a symbol of their hedgehog lineage.

An illustration from Vigilles de Charles VII showing the wedding of Margaret of Anjou and Henry VI with symbolic hedgehog at her feet.

A detail from a stained-glass window at Cardiff Castle showing the royal hedgehog legend (upper right).

I think this proves conclusively that Margaret of Anjou was descended from a hedgehog. There was a corruption in the French MSS tradition confusing swans and hedgehog later, since the French word for hedgehog (hérisson) and the French word for swan (cygne) look very similar.

So @OtherMichael, now you can clearly see that Margaret of Anjou was descended from a hedgehog, and my previous crankiness was fully justified by the facts.

31 Likes

<3

Thank you for a perfect ending to my online day.

3 Likes

Right? It drives me nuts how Boing Boing spices up the headlines. I don’t mind a little liberal bias but common, stop cramming shit down my throat.

Please, we’re moved on to hedgehogs and swans.

Super-Hog says to fear not, citizen.

Bat-Hog agrees.

Swans, well, don’t listen to them. They lie.

16 Likes

So THAT’S Chris Wood’s objection to Sophie Okonedo playing the role … she is far too attractive to be believable as Margaret of Anjou. Seriously. Just look at that cartoon image of MoA. SpongeBob SquarePants is more attractive.

Disappointed in BoingBoing? Well why didn’t you just say so! Fixed that for you.

4 Likes

Wow. Your stupidity really knows no bounds. From just a few posts above yours…

The results would probably worse, but then it’s not important from the Americas (or down-under, this is a reply for @JonS, too) to know such details.

A quiz with questions about the US would also result in an abysmal hit rate in the EU

1. The US currently consists of 50 states.
  2. The members of the United States House of Representatives are directly elected by the citizens of each state.
  3. Puerto Rico is a state of the US.

But from within the EU the three original statements should be common knowledge - if asked “how many member states has the EU?” I wouldn’t know the answer offhand, but the statement “28 members?” Yes, fits, I read and heard this multiple times. Same with Switzerland - it is nearly impossible not to hear or read about Swiss/EU quarrels on a biweekly basis if one does not live under a rock.

BZZZZT!!!

Puerto Rico is a territory, not a state. They’re citizens, and use U.S. dollars, but have no representation in Congress.

Also, a better question #2 would be to ask if the President of the U.S. is directly elected. Anyone who hasn’t heard of the Electoral College at this point doesn’t deserve to vote.

2 Likes

I tried to translate the EU question directly into an US equivalent - both sets have the answers true/true/false.

3 Likes

Equally, Switzerland is not in the EU. It’s meant to be a false statement.

4 Likes

@renke and @daneel

Now I get it, thanks!

4 Likes

Was he the guy invited by Kim Jong Un for North Korea’s party last year celebrating “the 50th anniversary of defeating the Japanese in WWII, all by themselves”?

They are the band/art collective, yes. Their work has dealt with issues around authoritarianism and various kinds of ideology that support it since the 1980s, so getting a chance to perform in one of the most authoritarian states still in existence was probably too much to resist… and of course, they’ll have a documentary about it coming out soon.

Come to think of it, the performance there coincided with their 30th anniversary.

1 Like

Hurnde gurnde ort durned spørt, bork bork bork!

8 Likes

I could see Romeo & Juliet too… Piggy as the love-smitten drama queen. Dr. Honeydew as the potion-mixing Friar Laurence. Fozzie would be PERFECT as Kermit/Romeo’s joke-slinging wingman Mercutio.

5 Likes

Since @Andrew_Glasgow’s post I’ve not been able to get Miss Piggy out of my mind.

Lady Macbeth: Infirm of purpose! Give me the daggers! Haiiii-yah!
[hits Macbeth, exits]

9 Likes

Why is this not already a thing? It’s a guaranteed Broadway hit.

5 Likes

Ooh! Ooh! The Tempest! Animal as Caliban! But who’s Triculo? Could be Fozzy again, like.

1 Like

Okay, then: Can she properly pronounce late Renaissance English?