Yakuza 8 is now also Animal Crossing, apparently

Originally published at: Yakuza 8 is now also Animal Crossing, apparently | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Eventually we’ll get the EVERYTHING GAME; where all genres are catered to in a single title.

5 Likes

Will it be titled “X”?

3 Likes

isn’t that called “the console”?

there’s a couple of different versions, but they support a wide selection of “mini games”. unfortunately, some of them are locked behind dlc, so you have to grind for “us dollars” to get access. ( fortunately, i have the “mobile device” edition as well, so i can play on the go )

5 Likes

So the “x-box”, then.

4 Likes

We might have hit it with this. I’ve heard you can also unlock the original brawling as well as the turn based battles, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a sports game or two. Plenty of card and dice games already along with embedded arcade games if they stick with the formula.

4 Likes

Looks like fun, but my iron-clad rule still stands: never pre-order.

2 Likes

Batting cages are a likely return at the very least.

1 Like

Good point. I was thinking something team based was missing.

Wonder if the batting cages will though. That’s not common in Hawaii, is it?

1 Like

oh, so now they’re striving for realism? :wink:

2 Likes

When it comes to the Yakuza games, ludonarrative dissonance is not a bug, it’s a feature.

4 Likes

There’s definitely not a racoon/racoon dog(localization dependent) who could provide any hints about how organized crime would slot comfortably into the Animal Crossing universe.

3 Likes

Aren’t the maps the one realistic thing in the game? I’ve seen posts by people that have used the game to navigate the same neighborhood.

The maps are very realistic. The fictional Kamurocho neighborhood is very similar in layout and landmarks to the real Kabukicho. The fictional Sotenbori is basically a mirrored version of the real Dotonbori. The Yakuza series blatantly injects advertising and often times in-game stores will be identical to their meatspace equivalent.

There’s been plenty of articles and photo spreads comparing fictional Yakuza locales to the real life counterparts and it’s pretty amazing. With the later games’ graphical improvements, sometimes it can be hard to tell which is a photo and which is in-game.

Example:

There’s plenty of silliness in the series but the locales are heavily modeled after real life.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.