Yale rescinds admission for student whose parents allegedly paid $1.2 million to get her in

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/26/yale-rescinds-admission-for-st.html

8 Likes

No refunds!

26 Likes

A clever person suggested the real punishment would be if the student were forced to actually play soccer on the team.

39 Likes

I’d rather the student and their parents be forced to fetch Gatorade for the real soccer team at early morning practices, all. season. long.

16 Likes

Going to be a few estranged parents and empty Holiday tables when this is all done.

15 Likes

“My dad paid $1.2 million to Yale, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt.”

24 Likes

Or – if the affected child knew about the payoff – it could (in more ways than one) bring said child and parents closer together.

3 Likes

It sounds like the student did as Yale’s reasoning includes lying on the application they signed.

7 Likes

For shits and giggles, the school bursar could adopt the Soup Nazi accent and throw in “No school for you!”

6 Likes

Well, there you go! :slight_smile:

Not sure why, but the thought of that reminded me of this song:

But hey, if they had this kind of money to drop on their unqualified offspring, I don’t imagine they are hurting. Financially, I mean. The butt-hurt is likely strong.

6 Likes

2-Jerry-Maguire-quotes

15 Likes

Parent and child 'gainst the World now!

(Hmm. In the song, don’t the two main characters die at the end, a la Bonnie and Clyde, though? Your subconscious may have posed a desire for major, uni-admissions Karma!)

1 Like

They do. They do indeed. But mainly I picture parents and child circling the wagons, and trying to brave the slings and arrows, etc. Although I admit it’s possible my subconscious may be keeping other ideas hidden from me.

2 Likes

I wonder. If the parents retained Rick Singer to be their fixer, and with his own money he paid off the college coach (perhaps by taking a home equity loan), but the parents later reimbursed him with regular checks that came to the same amount as the payoff…would they be guilty of committing the payoff? Just asking…

1 Like

For a friend?

2 Likes

No friend of mine…

2 Likes

Am I just jaded, or does it seem almost quaint that rich people are actually suffering some consequences here?

7 Likes

Suffering? Yeah no one is missing a meal. Rent is gonna get paid healthcare…and this is not suffering. Not in the slightest.

10 Likes

So how do you report a $400k bribe on your taxes? Not reporting it at all sounds more dangerous than taking bribes in the first place. Reporting it as something else risks running afoul of money laundering laws, which probably also carry worse penalties than taking bribes.

7 Likes