Years after megachurch robbed of $600k, cash and checks found hidden in church's bathroom wall

Originally published at: Years after megachurch robbed of $600k, cash and checks found hidden in church's bathroom wall | Boing Boing

7 Likes

The “finders keepers” doctrine, I humbly feel would apply in this situation. Especially if I was the plumber…

31 Likes

71 Likes

I’m just wondering what the motivation to hide checks would be? I mean, they’re not liquid like the cash, right? :man_shrugging:

ETA: Ah, here’s some insight from a story about mail thieves. They “wash” the checks and enter their own amount and/or payee.

31 Likes

There’s always money in the banana stand.

46 Likes

When a “prosperity gospel” church is robbed, chances are good that it’s an inside job.

50 Likes

Well this sure sounds like insurance fraud.

Money is “stolen”. Insurance covers what’s lost. Enjoy a quick 100% profit, and have an off-the-books emergency fund in case you need to flee to somewhere without an extradition treaty. Granted, the cheques would be hard to cash in such a situation.

Alternatively, if you find yourself in possession of a large number of cheques that you know are likely to bounce, and they were “stolen”… insurance would likely cover those at near-to-full value.

42 Likes

It was an
p8202241_p_v13_ag

17 Likes

Even if this were an inside job for insurance money or something, why would they simply hide the cash in the wall? Did they think it would never be found? Were they planning on going back for it?

8 Likes

Fuck Joel Osteen and his “church”
that is all

48 Likes

I guess that was the “F You” money.

5 Likes

Flip some tables; grab some whips…

Also, TAX THE CHURCH.

63 Likes

If you have to put the stolen property somewhere, putting it near tens of thousands of people but so hidden nobody will ever find it (hopefully) is far better than just taking it home and keeping it in your house. Plausible deniability. WHOEVER is behind this will be able to say “well , this is a surprise to me, guess the thief didn’t think they could leave the building with it.”

15 Likes

From the Houston Chronicle (emphasis mine) when the theft happened: “The bold theft, in which $200,000 in cash, $400,000 in checks and an undetermined number of credit card slips were taken, was discovered Monday morning as staffers prepared to process the weekend’s collections for deposit.”
ONE weekend’s take, for the love of God (pun intended).

38 Likes

beat me to it.

17 Likes

my first step would be to check into any employees/former employees who may have shed their mortal coil since 2014. they could have stolen it and hid it but “God called them home” before they could collect it.

4 Likes

That’s what I say when I’m about to go into a bar. It’s just meant to be…

19 Likes

Color me shocked that an organization which exists solely to squeeze money from rubes and doesn’t have to pay taxes is caught being dishonest about the money they’ve successfully squeezed from those rubes.

Just shocked.

In other news, water is wet.

27 Likes

I guess God liked the plumber more than he liked the church.

Also, I’m always amused how Americans still use checks.

8 Likes

Flush with cash?

29 Likes