Yemeni scientist wants to built a baby factory full of artificial wombs

Originally published at: Yemeni scientist wants to built a baby factory full of artificial wombs | Boing Boing

1 Like

Asked why these artificial wombs are made out of transparent material instead of something that would better simulate the conditions inside an actual woman’s body, Al-Ghaili responded “I just figured most people would prefer a womb with a view.”

24 Likes

Let me check my “This is How You Get The Matrix” bingo card out…ah…yes.

16 Likes

I’m not sure that they are shopping on instagram; but there seem to be a number of nation states who haven’t figured out how to build a society worth reproducing in but still need a steady supply of taxpayers and conscripts to keep the old people happy; so there’s probably a market.

3 Likes

Don’t forget I Am Mother, which had little clear pods a lot like those ones.

6 Likes

Zager and Evans are a bit more pessimistic on the TTM (time to market)

In the year 6565
You won’t need no husband, won’t need no wife
You’ll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube

6 Likes

Drums Eye Roll GIF

10 Likes

Mr Emerson would beg to differ.

3 Likes

Fudd laugh

3 Likes

Nick Cannon proceeds to try to throw money through his computer monitor

It’s on my “This is how you get Brave New World” bingo card too.

And Russian television has got hold of it.

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1602323518305325056

8 Likes

He rubbed his hands. For of course, they didn’t content themselves with merely hatching out embryos: any cow could do that.

“We also predestine and condition. We decant our babies as socialized human beings, as Alphas or Epsilons, as future sewage workers or future …” He was going to say “future World controllers,” but correcting himself, said “future Directors of Hatcheries,” instead.

The D.H.C. acknowledged the compliment with a smile.

They were passing Metre 320 on Rack 11. A young Beta-Minus mechanic was busy with screw-driver and spanner on the blood-surrogate pump of a passing bottle. The hum of the electric motor deepened by fractions of a tone as he turned the nuts. Down, down … A final twist, a glance at the revolution counter, and he was done. He moved two paces down the line and began the same process on the next pump.

“Reducing the number of revolutions per minute,” Mr. Foster explained. “The surrogate goes round slower; therefore passes through the lung at longer intervals; therefore gives the embryo less oxygen. Nothing like oxygen-shortage for keeping an embryo below par.”

Again he rubbed his hands.

12 Likes

6 Likes

1636735_1

14 Likes

Did I miss the bit where Yemen got an invite to be ‘the west’? Or is everything that isn’t Russia ‘the west’ now?

4 Likes

Is it me or is there a teensy-weensy bit of eugenics involved?

4 Likes

They didn’t mention Yemen or Hashem Al-Ghaili.

Yes there is.

1 Like

Of course. Where it all began.

2 Likes

Trans people can preserve the ability to have their genetic children. I did that way back in the 80’s.

9 Likes