Yes, humans are capable of creating a happy and successful liberal society: The Netherlands

America as an immigrant nation has alternately proved you wrong and proved you right throughout its entire history. Unfortunately, at the moment it’s proving you right. My deepest fear is that our luck has run out and that liberal democracy is at risk not so much from multiculturalism but from those who use fear of multiculturalism to undermine democratic institutions.

10 Likes

I think it sounds pretty good there. But I’m mainly going by the Rod Stewart lyric.

Well, I still rate the Netherlands as one of the best places to live (as an increasingly closer to middle age white guy).

8 Likes

Your ethnic mix numbers for the US add up to over 100.

Seems to me I’ve read a number of articles over the years about increased Muslim immigration to the Netherlands and its impact on its social policies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/18/opinion/the-netherlands-tolerating-a-time-bomb.html?_r=0

Don’t blame me, blame Wolfram Alpha :wink:
Point is, it is not as “white” as you might think.

1 Like

Since the early 2000s right wing populism has been on the rise and with it intolerance towards the Muslim population increased. This is unfortunately common in recent years in both Europe and the US.

2 Likes

Nothing motivates people to take action on climate change like the knowledge that a one-meter increase in sea level would put half their country under water.

26 Likes

Explain Florida, then.

16 Likes

Florida diligently works to avoid knowledge at all costs. Even flooding.

26 Likes

You don’t explain Florida, man. Florida is a beat poem that ends with everybody burning down the coffee house. It just IS.

29 Likes

Florida may lose some of Florida, but they have a HUGE landmass to retreat to and still be in America.

7 Likes

“Oh Paris, Paris. I know you’re there. I know you’re there like Heaven is there.”

1 Like

But, But Trump said climate change was a hoax! Water is not rising.

(Just land sinking under the strain of the newly added bullshit)

10 Likes

“As U.S. headlines bombard us with proof of how low humanity can go…”

Apparently, the writer is not familiar with Pol Pot or Rwanda, to name a couple of things that were much lower on the humanity scale.

2 Likes

This ought to be read as an argument to increase taxes in North America, not as a complaint about the Netherlands.

20 Likes

It might be because the U.S. survey allowed individuals to check off more than one category.

6 Likes

A disproportionate chunk of Florida consists of people who will no longer be here by the time those impacts hit (also a demographic that skews conservative). That would be my first guess, anyway.

Consider also that a lot of that land only exists in the first place because the citizenry managed to get its collective act together and cooperate over the course of centuries to build and maintain dikes and drain the polders, with everyone rich or poor at risk if they failed.

8 Likes

That’s true of the Dutch too. They have all the EU…

3 Likes

Well said. Canadians hew a little closer to the American view on taxes than most folks in European nations (based on my experience of living in Canada and the UK), but even we feel that taxes are a thing we pay in order to get services from our government. My impression is that in the US, taxes are viewed as largely wasted at best, or outright theft at worst, once you get away from the more progressive groups. That’s a pretty big cultural gulf.

10 Likes