Yet another child shoots yet another child dead; nothing will be done

Originally published at: Yet another child shoots yet another child dead; nothing will be done | Boing Boing

2 Likes

And so begins another generations-long cycle of family trauma, likely contributing to mental health problems and substance abuse.

9 Likes

Perhaps you meant to say:

8 Likes

Yes, PTSD is a major contributing factor to mental health problems and substance abuse. I hope you did not think I was implying causality in the other direction.

6 Likes

But hey, as long as some insecure dude can wave around his guns and pretend to be an action hero it’s all worth it, right? As I recall that was the exact reasoning behind the Second Amendment.

5 Likes

This is apparently what the right thinks a “well-regulated militia” looks like.

8 Likes

Something will be done. Just maybe not this century…

1 Like

Is it not child neglect to leave an armed firearm where a child can get to it? Does Florida not regulate how you store guns when not in use? It makes me insane when I see comments like this: “Authorities have not found any indication of criminal violence, the sheriff’s office said.” Are there no other crimes we could be talking about in this case? Next thing we’ll hear from the ‘journalists’ is that the weapon was purchased legally, like this is some crucial data point in our understanding of how one kid can shoot another kid in the fead. FFS people!

6 Likes

That, and being scared that Black people also wanted guns, especially more recent legislation.

3 Likes

Safe gun storage is incompatible with the self-defense fantasies gun nuts use to justify their ownership of handguns.

If your fantasy scenario for needing a handgun is defending yourself against a ninja assassin who breaks into your home in the dead of night, then it logically follows that you need to be able to grab the gun in a hurry from a nightstand or something rather than fumbling around with a securely locked gun safe.

5 Likes

This is always the response I come up with: https://www.stonekettle.com/2015/06/bang-bang-sanity.html

But now I think we’re too dumb and immature to allow people to own guns.

2 Likes

Well regulated militia?

They might want to think twice…

2 Likes

If anything, Republican states have been trying to roll back whatever constraints exist. For example, there is a fairly new Texas law allowing open carry everywhere for people who don’t hold the Texas open carry certificate. It has led to an explosion of gun crime because the Texas open carry certificate course teaches gun owners the places they can’t open carry, like near Federal court houses and so on (I don’t know the list.)

2 Likes

Well, at least we can be certain that there’s no racial bias in who gets charged for open carry near Federal buildings.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.