Yet another white guy cast in a non-white starring role

Yes, please. All day.

But he’s not a hero…there’s no reason to.

/s, obviously

6 Likes

It was a casting decision that was being watched closely, because she’s very clearly described in the book as a tall, burly, ethnically Samoan woman (who lives on Mars). Probably not a particularly easy role to cast.

5 Likes

No part of the GitS series, manga or otherwise, makes a clear distinction on her pre-cyborg race…the original producer of the 1995 film was interviewed and no issues with Johansson being cast. None of the people or rights holders involved with GitS had an issue

4 Likes

The sea monkeys are all – like – Brownian motion now!

2 Likes

Count me in.

And the background surfboards nail it.

Hollywood executives need bonking on the head with a comedic rubber mallet until they get the message.

The story takes place in Japan. Mentioning race is completely redundant given the setting and the story.

4 Likes

This is whole thing is weird beyond casting an obviously white guy as a Hawaiian. It’s a movie based on a weird story that was used at the time to perpetuate the idea that a particular group of Americans and related immigrants were traitors-in-waiting and should be treated as enemies, at a time when a particular group of Americans and related immigrants are being treated by some as if they’re traitors-in-waiting and should be treated as enemies. It’s creepy all around.

13 Likes

It’s not redundant. Are you implying only people of the Japanese racial background live there? Is that the case for the year 2032? Do the original author and artists intentions not matter? Isn’t this whole hooplah being raised by a bunch of white people anyways? Do they get to tell Japanese people how to cast their films?

I’m not saying white washing in Hollywood doesn’t exist - I think the film this boingboing post is actually about is a fine example. The criticism of GitS casting was a bad bandwagon for a lot of people to hop on though.

3 Likes

Might catch crap for this, but that kind of laconic “strong silent type” role usually doesn’t take great acting chops. The character seems more at home with action than words, great for a less experienced actor. I don’t recall her having to smile once!

So you’re saying if he looked Hawaiian enough, it would be OK? I can assure you that his appearance is not the problem with this casting as perceived by the Native Hawaiian community.

5 Likes

Nope.

I have faith that the producers, directors, etc. at least thought through racial issues when casting the film and I’m sure they justified ScarJo in an in-canon way, as you’ve pointed out. That doesn’t change the fact that when the general public watches a movie set in Japan, based on a a famous anime, starring a Westerner as a robot with the brain of an Asian woman, it strikes many of them as odd.

5 Likes

Are you kidding? Her name is Motoko Kusanagi![quote=“uplandupland, post:50, topic:100784”]

Do the original author and artists intentions not matter?
[/quote]

The orginal artist’s intentions were evident in the original work. The fact the he didn’t object to a remake does not mean that the remake reflects his intent.

Which Japanese people do you believe cast this film?

It wasn’t a bandwagon. People like me who enjoyed the original wanted the Japanese elements. I’m not going to see it, apparently, neither is anyone else.

11 Likes

Her name is Motoko Kusanagi!

That was the name given to her, because her past is unknown. Is it not possible for caucasian – or anyone of non-Japanese racial makeup – people in Japan to have Japanese names? Ultimately though, even if her past is actually Japanese, she chose what looks like a caucasian host shell. She has blue eyes - not exactly a well known feature for asian people. The identical shell to hers has blonde hair. The story is set in the future where consciousness has transcended being bound to a body. It is completely engineered, it’s a facsimile at best.

The orginal artist’s intentions were evident in the original work.

Clearly they weren’t because here we are arguing over that very thing.

3 Likes

I’m an Asian person and we have been complaining about this for years…decades even. But the sad truth is that nothing really changes until white folks start complaining about it.

13 Likes

It’s normal in Hollywood. Did you see the Blade Runner 2049 trailer? Wall-to-wall white people.

1 Like

You mean, like the Ainu?

7 Likes

It seems a little off to me as well, but I have not heard the casting director’s explanation for that casting choice. However, it is my understanding that a large part of acting is the ability to successfully portray someone who you are not. Bradley Cooper was a success in “The Elephant Man” on Broadway, despite being neither British nor a sufferer of Wiedemann syndrome. Also without prostheses or heavy makeup effects.
I can see the advantage of hiring a Native Hawaiian for such roles, but I wonder if there would be a controversy if a Chamorro or Carolinian were being cast for the same role.
On the other hand, if the actor had blue eyes, but turned out to be part Hawaiian, would the criticism still be valid?
My personal view is that the primary issue is the believability of the character in the role. I would hate to see an actor mocking the Hawaiian people or Mr. Kanahele. I don’t want to see Al Jolson out there. But I think we as a multicultural nation should be less obsessed with everyone’s racial origins than Julius Streicher was.

1 Like

He hasn’t been hurting for roles. He’s had significant roles on four modestly successful shows. It’s not this or cat food.

I went to college with him and while we weren’t close he was a genuinely nice guy. And now he’s gone and done when he really should know better. I’m disappointed. Also, I’m hoping a couple of people I can think of are calling him and convincing him to find a way to back out. Not holding my breath though. Standard procedure on this issue seems to be to dig in.

6 Likes