Yet another white guy cast in a non-white starring role

Jason Momoa was too busy as the new Aquaman.

3 Likes

All hail the King of Atlantis!

4 Likes

Just why? I mean a sci-fi anime flick is one thing you can bullshit your way to artistic license. A historical piece? though is the casting director just fucking lazy?

2 Likes

Beau Bridges and George Clooney weren’t available?

5 Likes

Dayum. He is a fine looking man. @Grey_Devil it must be warming up all over the place.

8 Likes

Something… something… bootstraps

???

Yet another Hollywood offering I won’t be seeing due to idiotic casting.

3 Likes

I feel like that went over my head. That’s a mostly white guy from Manhattan, of mostly-white Puerto Rican descent.

3 Likes

What is there to surf in Iowa? The Mississippi and Missouri rivers?

I read that as, Look, here’s an exception that disproves what you’re claiming is a rule! Neener neener, libruls!

I could be wrong tho

12 Likes

More like a half-white Puerto Rican wrote, directed, and produced a role for himself playing a mostly-white immigrant from the West Indies. But thanks for trying!

7 Likes

I nominate Moses Goods

There are many talented actors who could lend the needed authenticity to this role. Enough willful ignorance from this industry.

18 Likes

Or Kenobi

Really? I read it as, Look, here’s a guy who made a zillion quatloos by not casting white guys in non-white roles! Hollywood is totally missing the boat!" so I ‘liked’ it.

Now I dunno… is there a head-scratching emoji?

1 Like

His role was cast before the general casting call went out. Here is the description for the role of Ben’s wife:

"Ella Kanahele- Female 30-39
30s, hard working and opinionated, Ella is likable–but won’t suffer fools; a skilled brewmaster and linen chief, she is often the softer side of a duo, whether that’s to husband Ben, or friend Irene. Fluent English required. American accent. Female/lead/Hawaiian-American–Pacific Islander to play Hawaiian.

Ethnicity: Southeast Asian / Pacific Islander"

It looks like the other supporting roles all specify ethnicity. But it might be worth pointing out that this is a British production being filmed in Malaysia. So not really Hollywood. I can’t find any articles explaining the casting choice. Perhaps McGowan had some key role in getting the film produced or funded. Or maybe the producer just though that he could effectively play the role. As far as looks go, McGowan’s nose is pretty far from looking Hawaiian. Both do have very prominent jawlines.
And there are no images I can find of Kanahele without a shirt, but McGowan is about as buff as it is possible to get, so if the role requires the character to run around shirtless and look super fit, McGowan has that going for him.

It will be interesting to see how the controversy plays out.

2 Likes

You’re referring to Ghost in the Shell, where the character Major is shelled in a machine. Machines don’t have race, although they may appear to mimic one. In GitS, Major’s original shell has mostly round, blue eyes. Please inform yourself on this subject with a very well researched reply over at Quora: https://www.quora.com/Is-Major-Motoko-Kusanagi-from-Ghost-in-the-Shell-Caucasian

3 Likes

Machines don’t, but Scarlett Johanssen does. And the movie has an Asian woman’s brain being put into her. The symbolism and visual is unfortunate at best and despite the history of the property, most people are familiar with the original, classic movie, which the producers should be familiar with, I’d think.

11 Likes

Casting couch win?

(Or casting couch blackmail?)

How about Rick Kane, from Arizona? Would that do?

1 Like

I didn’t read the books but loved her casting, finally a female soldier who looks like she could break you in 2 rather than some skinny model in camo drag. I liked Lena Headey in Sarah Connor chronicles but she was too waifish to be the badass character that Linda Hamilton was in T2.

2 Likes