Yosemite sickens guests

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/17/yosemite-sickens-guests.html

2 Likes

Norovirus is not new to Yosemite. If visitors would just follow the guidelines intended to keep the mice out of the guest accommodations these occurrences would largely go away.

Oh, geez. More geysers than you can shake a stick at.

11 Likes

I believe you’re confusing Norovirus with Hantavirus, which caused several serious infections in Yosemite in 2012. Different disease with different vectors of infection (you can’t catch Norovirus from mice).

12 Likes

Yellowstone is the one with the geysers. Yosemite is the one with the really big rocks.

12 Likes

Okay. Well, hey! Geysers!

7 Likes

So what was the vector for the virus? Was it traced to a particular eatery or location? The article has few specifics.

2 Likes

Hard to track down a point of origin since it’s such a highly contagious disease but looks like a lot of the investigation is focused on Aramark, the company that took over park concessions four years ago (and is widely considered to be doing a terrible job at it).

Two summers ago there was a norovirus outbreak at a municipal camp my family sometimes visits just outside Yosemite, they had to close the camp down for the rest of the season just to disinfect the place.

5 Likes

You’re absolutely right. Thanks for the correction. Ima still gonna blame the tourists though. :wink:

3 Likes

Aramark does a lot of concession business, not just with national parks but airlines and other places without in-house food services. I hope other people in the area who employ Aramark to provide catering give them some very close scrutiny.

3 Likes

Fortunately they haven’t ruined the pizza deck. My wife said the curry cafe (or whatever they call it) wasn’t too bad either. The Yosemite Lodge location was pretty poor though. Just very meh food for very not-meh money both in the cafe and the more upscale place. The bar was particularly bad, the cocktails were only worth writing warnings about. About what you’d expect from a closed ecosystem. My climber ass has never been fancy enough to try out the Awahnee dining room so I can’t comment on that.

I want to joke about “Yosemite Salmonella” but I know the science pendants will shit all over me.

1 Like

Aramark: Capitalizing on the nation’s public schools/prisons since 1936.

3 Likes

Who wants a bidet that only goes off once an hour?

4 Likes

Yeah, hard to believe that patrons of the Ahwahnee Hotel (which costs around $1000/night) have been disappointed by the quality of the food & service ever since operations were taken over by these guys:

4 Likes

Checked my facts; I was wrong. ISWYDT.

at least it’s not hantavirus.

1 Like

I actually personally know someone who got the Bubonic Plague, “The Black Death”, there. Rats/mice, fleas, humans, boom.

Her doctor said “I have bad news, and good news… The bad news is you have the Black Death. The good news is it’s very treatable with modern antibiotics.”.

The bad news is, it’s becoming resistant to modern antibiotics.

5 Likes

Oh god. Norovirus is the worst.

1 Like

Kinda doubt they’d let me bring my cat, Satan. He’s good at this tho.

1 Like