You can call me AI

(Sheesh, what an awful rug that is he’s wearing!)

2 Likes
2 Likes

It’s still better than seeing him out in public with hair that looked like it hadn’t been washed in a month. We saw him in some news story shortly after he’d got married, and mom said, “Oh, good. Look - his wife makes him wash his hair.”

1 Like

“AI goes its merry way without referencing “open source” except as a marketing term”

Well quite. I’m sure they’ve heard of “Open” “AI” owned by Microsoft… (probably. If not now by early next year they will be so in hock to Redmond they will be owned)

1 Like

… MSFT would have trademarked the word Open™ by now if they thought they could get away with it :robot:

3 Likes

Somewhere out there they are probably litigating it as we speak!

1 Like
4 Likes
5 Likes

The perils of online credentials

Artificial intelligence is making it harder to identify scammers. This is evident by the 44 million euros people in Finland lost to fraudsters last year, according to Helsingin Sanomat.

Small languages like Finnish no longer offer protection against payment fraud in the era of AI applications. Gone are the poorly written messages of years past.

These days scammers move between different channels. What starts as a text message leads to phone calls. Ultimately, these multi-pronged approaches are fishing for the victim’s online banking credentials, and that’s where things get hairy, according to the paper.

For those fighting fraud, online banking codes pose a tricky situation, as strong authentication using these credentials should generally be respected. Strong authentication is like a signature and should be treated with the same seriousness, the paper explains.

“If you carry out an authentication, you are responsible for it,” Jukka-Pekka Kokkonen, an anti-fraud expert at payments company Nexi, told HS.

2 Likes

Ellison made the comments as he spoke to investors earlier this week during an Oracle financial analysts meeting, where he shared his thoughts on the future of AI-powered surveillance tools.

Ellison said AI would be used in the future to constantly watch and analyze vast surveillance systems, like security cameras, police body cameras, doorbell cameras, and vehicle dashboard cameras.

“We’re going to have supervision,” Ellison said. “Every police officer is going to be supervised at all times, and if there’s a problem, AI will report that problem and report it to the appropriate person. Citizens will be on their best behavior because we are constantly recording and reporting everything that’s going on.”

5 Likes

Bullshit- they’ll be monitoring the public.

7 Likes

Citizens will be on their best behavior because we are constantly recording and reporting everything that’s going on.

And I guess it doesn’t even occur to him that’s a nightmare nobody wants, because billionaires are basically just supervillains at this point. :face_exhaling:

10 Likes

4 Likes

They don’t care anymore whether something is popular or not. We have shown them time and again that we’ll take anything without resisting.

2 Likes

2 Likes

… is that like “This is good for Bitcoin” :thinking:

As someone who is not a DBA, but effectively has to be one, and deal with Oracle DB’s inconsistencies/idiosyncracies/matryoshka dolls etc. – combined with what Ellison’s just said here, and other things that he’s done (for example; here have another; hey why not) – I’ve arrived at the conclusion that Oracle’s a shit company that makes a shit product. For the life of me I can’t figure out how the latter ever got them where they are today (perhaps simply buying out/absorbing the competition got them a lot farther than I’d realized).

2 Likes
5 Likes

Because they’re not selling to you. They’ve never sold to the people who actually use their products on a day to day basis.

They’re selling it to Mahogany Row. They’re selling it to the people in very expensive suits with three letter titles of the pattern CxO, who would never dream about getting anything for free and never think twice about paying millions on a contract with insane compliance clauses. Why would they? They don’t have to make it work. If it doesn’t work they can blame their incompetent staff and the incompetent contractors, but the contracts have been signed so you can’t change the platform now: proving it doesn’t and can’t possibly work isn’t an option, it’s your job to make it work. And if you need to hire more codemonkeys and cybersecurity cops and compliance auditors, so much the better: the more money they’re spending on the platform, and the bigger the empire they’re running it with, the more important they are, and the bigger suite they get when Oracle sends them on a junket training conference at Vegas or Aspen or the Bahamas or whereever.

Nobody involved in the purchasing decision gives the slightest fuck whether it’s good or not. Indeed, efficiency, efficacy, and cost effectiveness are actively selected against by the politics of that end of the company who still have offices.

6 Likes

(More rant/venting, and more off-topic)

This all makes sense, although whoever did the actual purchasing, in this case, is about as removed from the C-suite as I am. And whoever decided to use Oracle for this, did so around 30 years ago - they weren’t C-suite, either, but (I’ll hazard a guess) not an IT person. What they did have, was more than one Oracle DBA, more than one Remedy developer (which, years later, they hired me to be), & more than one sysadmin. Until 12 or 13 years ago there were 8 people involved in running the system; when I was hired there was a part-time DBA & an ostensible sysadmin who did nothing but play grab-ass, and me. Now there’s just me, wearing all the hats. At least mgm’t. is aware of that, so when I tell them I’m way behind trying to be a DBA, they get it (for now).

I’ve used Microsoft SQL &, whatever other issues exist with Microsoft, MS-SQL did not take up my time with one Sisyphean error message after another. & in hindsight, Sybase was less troublesome as well.

ETA: Ah! Here’s how to keep this on-topic. The last few Oracle releases were 12c, 19c… the new one is 23ai.

1 Like