You can call me AI

https://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2023/11/dont-create-the-torment-nexus.html

We’re sorry we created the Torment Nexus

By Charlie Stross

(This is the text of a talk I delivered at the Next Frontiers Applied Fiction Day in Stuttgart on Friday November 10th, 2023. Note: early draft, contains some typos, I’ll fix them next week when I get home.)

2 Likes

Correction: Mark Zuckerberg didn’t “blew through ten billion dollars trying to create the Metaverse”.
Mark Zuckerberg blew through 30+ billion dollars trying to create the Metaverse, and counting.

5 Likes
  • The famed VC firm is fighting alongside Big Tech against potential copyright rules on AI.
  • a16z sees any requirement to pay for copyrighted AI training data as detrimental to its investments.
  • Using copyrighted data for free is the basis of “enormous investment” in AI, the VC firm said.

Andreessen Horowitz is warning that billions of dollars in AI investments could be worth a lot less if companies developing the technology are forced to pay for the copyrighted data that makes it work.

The VC firm said AI investments are so huge that any new rules around the content used to train models “will significantly disrupt” the investment community’s plans and expectations around the technology, according to comments submitted to the US Copyright Office.

“The bottom line is this,” the firm, known as a16z, wrote. “Imposing the cost of actual or potential copyright liability on the creators of AI models will either kill or significantly hamper their development.”

2 Likes

And I would like Andreessen Horowitz to sign the ‘agreement to cease to be’ I have drawn up.

4 Likes

And speaking of AI, the self-driving car tech would be so much more valuable if legislators would just make it legal to run people over.

4 Likes

So what’s with these tech companies proudly demonstrating their latest AI tech without even checking to see if the answers are correct before sharing them? Google’s Bard made a big error about space telescope discoveries in its first public demonstration and now these guys have a machine that tells you to fly to Australia to see an eclipse that won’t be visible from there.

These AI products are obviously terrible, but it’s so weird that they aren’t even double checking the results for these demonstrations to save themselves the public embarrassment before sharing the videos.

3 Likes

Gettin’ high on their own supply, basically.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Tech bros have been huffing their own farts for years now.

3 Likes
2 Likes

5 Likes

Instant $700 landfill the moment that Humane pulls the plug on the mothership servers, or the “owner” can no longer pay the monthly service fee.

2 Likes

But it’s so shiny Star Trek-y!

Not everyone. Just four out of the five man crew. Sheesh.

(Seriously, that last burst of activity from the cerebral system on the monitors on the hibernation pods with Dr. Jack Kimball, Dr. Charles Hunter, and Dr. Victor Kaminsky in them is a high effective bit of cinematography. Murdered in your sleep by a computer, that ought to keep you awake in your Tesla.)

4 Likes

Think it’ll even make it a year before they pull the plug?

Head-Lettuce-Signorinella

2 Likes
2 Likes