You can call me AI

and being able to generate documentation,

If you’ve ever had to read term sheets for the financial instruments your local bank wants to put into your portfolio then you’ll know this is low hanging fruit. Less low hanging is some good stuff a local Toronto :canada: entrepreneur has been doing with contract interpretation.

It is different - and this distinction could be critical. Yes, individual humans learn from each others and the overall culture, are inspired by, and re-mix etc. Doesn’t it seem a bit precarious to accept that as precedent for automated systems that ingest digital/digitalized media wholesale and use it as fuel for profitable enterprises though? Even if the the nature of differences between people and algorithms aren’t fully agreed on - legal systems (currently) recognize people differently from machinations i.e. rights and powers to re-interpret, and presumably add something greater than the sum of the inputs. People are indivisible legal quanta with basic rights, person hood etc, whereas algorithms are properties/instruments with designed purposes, agendas. IMHO blurring or clarifying that line - that might be the underlying struggle in this semantic territorial contest, one with consequences that might extend well beyond media residuals.

As Sam Altman Is Celebrated, Beware His Projects - Such As Worldcoin

Sam Altman and America’s celebrity-billionaire problem - POLITICO

OpenAI rival Hugging Face says it’s seeing more client interest after Sam Altman fiasco

3 Likes

It is something out from an Asimov’s short story.

Perhaps there might be less sexual abuse with ai clergy, maybe there is an upside to this nonsense…

1 Like

How does that make you feel?

2 Likes

Describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about… your mother.

3 Likes

Understand Captain America GIF

5 Likes

Woohoo! … I mean, how awful!

3 Likes

6 Likes
2 Likes

This embedded cartoon covered my reaction to some of the story quite well:

2 Likes

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2023/12/the-internet-enabled-mass-surveillance-ai-will-enable-mass-spying.html

1 Like

Let’s hope our AI overlords don’t tend to go down rabbit holes… :grimacing:

star trek spock GIF

3 Likes

Yes AI, this is my face.

Prime-Minister-Margaret-Thatcher

3 Likes

https://archive.md/FaHHd

In total, it took Warburton three weeks to make The Wizard of AI. He says if he had tried to make it just two years ago it would probably have taken a team of 10 people three months to make. “And it would have cost around £50,000. Although that’s a disingenuous comparison because no one would actually pay for a critical video essay about art and technology.”

This brings up another interesting ethical element about AI – is it really taking someone’s job when the piece would never have been commissioned in the first place? Warburton points out that there have always been debates about new technologies entering the art world, from the invention of the camera to the emergence of graphic design tools like Adobe. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t worry about these latest developments: “I don’t think we’ve seen this kind of smash and grab at this scale before,” he says. “I think this is a very notably different kind of historical event.”

3 Likes