You can now select a dark color theme

the funny thing is that I requested this shortly after BB adopted Discourse and Jeff said that they weren’t gonna do it, but that I could just pick out some custom CSS for my browser to make it look however I wanted. Which I knew nothing about, but I did some searches, asked around, and tried a bunch of stuff. Sometime last year or so, someone hipped me to my current set-up, and it’s the best yet. The great thing about it is that it works for every page you load, they’re all themed the same way. leave the BBS for Wikipedia and you are not blinded by an all-white theme.

If you’re curious, and you use Firefox, this is it:

this one’s for new tabs, I just use black:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/customize-aboutnewtab/

but here’s the big ones. first, install this:

this lets you do a lot of other reskinning stuff, too, if you want.

then add these styles:

another script to give new tabs a black background. apparently I run both, can’t remember why

background between pageloads now defaults to black, not standard white

the above are just always-on until you disable them in the browser add-ons

and the main event:

really enjoying this one. you toggle it on and off from a Stylish button that shows up in the top right by the bookmark button. eeeeeevery once in a while something doesn’t render exactly right, but it’s no biggie. I love how it dims all the pics, too, but if you want to see them full-strength you just mouse-over.

[the whites get dimmed, but here it looks red because I’m running f.lux, too. seems that screenshots know to ignore f.lux, didn’t know until I revisited this thread with my f.lux and Midnight Surfing theme off]

So the irony is that now I get what I initially asked for, but I don’t want it anymore; it’s better to run the global style rather than the board-specific theme. for me, anyway.

4 Likes