You can use a microwave without a door, but you shouldn't

Most of this Youtube channel’s videos are in Russian, but they took the time to translate this one to English. They do some science with a microwave’s magnetron, mostly blowing things up…

2 Likes

Try buying outdated mobile X-ray equipment from your local hospital. Should not be too expensive but decently harmful. They’ll still need power cables but they’ll do for firing death rays out of windows and, of course, from roof tops targeting alien invasion ships.
You should, however, focus on very low flying spacecraft as the range of non-thermonuclear x-ray sources is rather limited within the atmosphere. Best results are to be expected in high, arid regions.

1 Like

Jonathan Banks! (of, e.g., Breaking Bad)

4 Likes
2 Likes

Fun fact- the first microwave oven that was on the commercial market was called the Radarange…

3 Likes

Follow up fun fact: Defense contractor Litton Industries was an early maker of microwave cooking dishes marketed under the name Littonware.

We have some of it that came from my wife’s mother and it is good stuff.

1 Like

A wacky EE friend of mine reported that a similarly safety-defeated microwave oven, aimed towards a parking lot from an upper story dormitory window , disables every cars’ keyless entry for a distance of at least 100 yards.

3 Likes

… and the wifi, too, or at least the 2.4 Ghz signals.

3 Likes

You know, the original chain home radar was developed after the British government set out a tender for a device that would boil quart of water at a range of a mile. Researchers responded that they didn’t think that they could create a death-ray, but they could probably detect aircraft a dozen or more miles away.

2 Likes

Yeah. I didn’t get the impression that any of that (information or process) was particularly scientific.

photo

5 Likes

I’ve heard the very same story about car stereos 15 years ago. Whishful thinking, IMO. Sure, theoretically a microwave oven could fry a reciever in the microwave range (5GHz+) - under lab conditions.

Perhaps I should have said “rendered inoperable by overloading the front end while the microwave was transmitting”.

No claim was made to causing lasting damage, only to blasting out so much RF noise that nearby receivers couldn’t hear nearby transmitters.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.