"You just pray to a rock!" — Justice Department sues Texas prison for discriminating against employee's religious head covering

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/06/you-just-pray-to-a-rock-justice-department-sues-texas-prison-for-discriminating-against-employees-religious-head-covering.html

17 Likes

Oh hey, another opportunity for …

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

23 Likes

Not that the bigots know or care, but there are a lot of passages in the Bible that refer to their guy as a rock.

• 1 Corinthians 10:1-4
    For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.

• Deuteronomy 32:4
    He is the Rock, His work is perfect

• Luke 6:47-49
    Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock.

• Matthew 7:24-29
    "Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.

• Genesis 49:24
    But his bow remained in strength,
    And the arms of his hands were made strong
    By the hands of the Mighty God of Jacob
    (From there is the Shepherd, the Stone of Israel),

• Psalm 18:2
    The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer;

• Psalm 28:1
    A Psalm of David. To You I will cry, O LORD my Rock:

• 2 Samuel 22:2
    And he said:
    “The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer;

• 2 Samuel 22:47
    “The LORD lives!
    Blessed be my Rock!

• Psalm 62:1-2
    Truly my soul silently waits for God;
    From Him comes my salvation.
    He only is my rock and my salvation;

…and so on.

It’s almost like the Bible was written by Korg’s people.

30 Likes

It’s always an opportunity for Wilhoit.

7 Likes

Yeah, don’t pray to some silly, corporeal, actual rock that exists, pray to some magical deity that is a figment of collective imagination.

10 Likes

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
– Matthew 16:18

(A play on the name Peter, Petros or rock in Greek.)

13 Likes

You mean the Texas Department of Criminal Justice discriminates against minorities?
Shocked Futurama GIF

13 Likes

I assume this is a rhetorical question. I’m pretty sure we all know why the TDCJ acted this way.

6 Likes

So will this be the case SCOTUS uses to rule the first amendment only protects Protestants?

8 Likes

“You just pray to a rock!”

“Yeah, and you just pray to a lower case ‘t’”.

9 Likes

And here I thought that people were praying to Dwayne Johnson.

2 Likes

Considering the large majority of the Supes are Catholic or Jewish, that would be truly shocking. It would not surprise me one bit if they tried to limit it to “traditionally American Judeo-Christian” beliefs, though.

1 Like

Lots of people believe weird stuff. I don’t care if she prays to a Bronze Age, illegitimate, circumcised, zombie carpenter. It’s none of your damn business. Why is this so difficult?!

1 Like

It’s not. But the right wingers don’t care about the first amendment protections for anyone but themselves, because they want to impose their values on the rest of us…

4 Likes

…I might care about that one a little. Just to know who beat Jesus to the whole resurrected carpenter thing by a whole millennium.

5 Likes

I appear to have had my CE and BCE confused. I should have known better, I suppose. Imperial Rome, and all.

My apologies.

2 Likes

That would seem entirely reasonable, but given Jared Kushner and Stephen Miller’s rabid support for Nazis, it seems like we’ve been through the looking glass with respect to self-hating Jews at least for years now.

1 Like

Practice runs?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.