You know who else invested in infrastructure? Autobahn spending was key to Hitler's consolidation of power

correct me if I am remembering incorrectly, but the GOP under Obama blocked public infrastructure, did they not? Just a short time ago this was characterized by the GOP as evil spending and deficit building. But now you mean to tell me they are going to be all behind it as a way to improve the economy, and god forbid build their oppressive regime???

7 Likes

Concider me enlightened! It’s still disturbing to sit the lap of a man hired by Hitler.

1 Like

it’s not that bad. VW has large operations in a former British colony : )

2 Likes

I assume you’re referring to this https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/security/encrypt-in-transit/why-https ? I’m curious, why do you disagree ?

1 Like

The Nazis also put very little investment into the railways pre war, a decision that seriously impeded their logistics network. Plundering the rolling stock of occupied countries was the only way they kept the system rolling, but at the cost of cannibalizing the to total capacity of the European network. And as territory was continually liberated from 1944 onwards, the ability to transport necessary goods rapidly declined, so you had coal piling up at mines and steel mills starved of fuel for lack of railway capacity.

3 Likes

sort of maybe…
this project was started by the Weimar republic and then taken over by the Nazis who saw two purposes, one work and two a way to move armies across there territories fast.
roads were harder to completely block unlike a rail line where even one hit cut the whole.
it allowed speed so allies time calculation on the time it would take to transfer the armies from Roland to the border of France where way off
there a great shot at the end of band of brothers showing the defeated German armies marching alone these highways.

1 Like

Because not everything needs to be a secret.

Google decided to punish sites that don’t enable encryption by boosting the sites that do in search results. But if there is no secure information being conveyed, like credit card or identity information, so there’s no compelling need for a secure connection. That’s just a blog. There’s nothing private being transferred when I go to the url and read it. If someone were tracking my web traffic, there’s nothing that they could do with the knowledge that I visited the site.

I’m all for privacy when necessary, but not when it isn’t.

1 Like

like in Transport Tycoon. I sucked at that game.

5 Likes

Porsche?
We owe him a debt. His efforts at tank design assisted the Russians at the Battle of Kursk and materially held up the German tank effort elsewhere.
But he has had his revenge, having finally succeeded in producing a road going MBT in the form of the Cayenne.

7 Likes

There’s even a German made open source version that amps up the realism so we can suck even more. I only really managed to keep my company profitable by hauling coal to power plants.

3 Likes

Actually the Allies were shocked by how rapidly the Germans could get bombed railways back into use. Bombed ballast can be replaced and rails are easy to move around.

3 Likes

I know Simutrans, and the genre is still fun-in-a-frustrating way. the fucking trains DO WHAT THEY WANT. if they would simulate train crashes my body count would be among the best-of-breed 20th century dictators (<- harr! back on topic!)

4 Likes

The point here, though, isn’t that Hitler also did it, but that there is strong evidence that taking up the Weimar road-building project was a shrewd political move that strengthened his popular support at a key juncture, leading to a victory in an otherwise close-run referendum on whether to expand his powers.

5 Likes

And my point is you’re blowing a freaking dog whistle on an administration to a horde of people who don’t need cheap slight of hand ‘look at the Hitler comparison’ articles because Trump/Pence/Gannon are doing clearly stupid all on their own without Godwinning yourself.

3 Likes

Yes but his foreign policy then got them partly un-built again.

5 Likes

Wasn’t most of the damage done to the autoban by the Germans themselves as they retreated?

2 Likes

Great. Maybe the money will actually be spent on roads unlike bin 0bama’s near trillion Dollar stimulus bill that did nothing but grease the pockets of his buddies. If the roads are so bad and they are, where did the money go and why do they need fixin’ so soon?

1 Like

In my neck of the woods, it’s gone to build a more streamlined corridor between a major interstate and my hometown. I’m sure it meant good jobs and better access for citizens there and for goods coming into the city. Look around and you’ll likely find a project near you that benefited from President Obama’s stimulus, which also had the effect of keeping us out of depression.

Trumps will be a pay out to private interests so they can create a toll system, so the billions of dollars we’ve spent since Eisenhower to ensure ease of travel for people and goods can line the pockets of private corporations.

8 Likes

What’s with this new flagging thing, did he or she say anything we can’t bear to hear?

1 Like

Heading off obvious trolls at the pass?

FWIW, I didn’t flag this one, but I answered their obviously ignorant view of reality.

2 Likes