You should try these boiled peanuts

Oh! I know this! I just heard about it from my friend, as we were driving through a neighborhood, someone had the mascot on their front lawn as part of their xmas decorations… they sell the nuggets (which come in multi-flavors) and are apparently famous for their selection of jerky, too…

5 Likes

That sounds like a threat.

11 Likes

Maybe a southern fried… er, boiled… reboot of Attack of the Killer Tomatoes… Attack of the Balled P-nuts?

7 Likes

They could always make a prequel to the one with the big red monsters… Attack of the Fried Green Tomatoes

9 Likes

The only right way to make that movie would be with Kathy Bates.

8 Likes

Pop Tv Alexis Rose GIF by Schitt's Creek

Bring 'em on!

9 Likes

Same, though from Toronto → Florida. They’re in every gas station on the way down, especially the truck stops. I didn’t try them, though I suppose now I really should next time I see them. I think the texture is going to gross me out though, we’ll see.

3 Likes

As a Nashvillian I appreciate the history of Goo Goo Clusters but prefer Colt’s Bolts. If you’re not familiar with them they’re best described as Goo Goo Clusters with more, and better quality, chocolate, peanut butter instead of marshmallow, and almonds for crunch, invented by a former Hee Haw actress.

TL;DR If you like Goo Goo Clusters you’ll love Colt’s Bolts.

2 Likes

Colt’s Bolts!

Yup, absolutely, those are fabulous!

Boiled peanuts, on the other hand….

1 Like

Ah! I recently made a trip to Chattanooga, and the best flight took me into Atlanta, with a shuttle bus to and from the airport. On the way, we passed a series of billboards advertising Bucky’s en route, not unlike the old ones for for Stuckey’s. Curiosity satisfied.

Boiled peanuts are also a HI staple. They frequently end up in local-kine oxtail soup as well.

2 Likes

Weird to hear about boiled peanuts being sold in stores and gas stations etc.

Where I grew up in Florida, the place to buy boiled peanuts was at a temporary roadside stand, usually nothing more than a fifty-five gallon drum converted into a boiler, and the seller would skim them straight from there into a small paper bag or newspaper cone for you.

We moved down there when I was 8, and at first I found them weird, but the salty goodness grew on me I guess. Fond memories of them.

5 Likes

my kid’s mom was from Hong Kong. she loved boiled peanuts that were apparently a Cantonese treat she grew up with.
never cared for them much, even as they were a big part of my own cultural past. family home in Comanche County, Texass was peanut farming country and great grampa and grandaddy were big into the peanut growing and, later, the drying and trading in bulk peanut crops. until ConAgra put the area out of business.
perhaps it is the texan drawl, but @anon33932455 and @Mindysan33 , it was pronounced more like “bawlt paynits” there. clsest i’ve ever heard to that was a gent from North Carolina.
don’t see them much down here in the way, way south, but i don’t get up to the mainland much anymore.

7 Likes

I am super weird about texture stuff and they were fine with me. Of course, everyone has their own likes and dislikes

4 Likes

I think it’s partly about expectations, too. Like you know how if you think you’re drinking milk and it turns out to be OJ, even though you like OJ it’s totally jarring to the senses?
I think when people think of peanuts, they have a certain idea in mind. But they’re legumes, so if you go in thinking, “this is like eating edamame or butter beans,” (to take 2 good examples from this thread), the texture will be less jarring.
I’m not going out of my way to find any, but like pretty much everything, I think they’re good when they’re made well.

6 Likes

No truer words

4 Likes

Instead of experiencing them as a soft version of hard peanuts, think of them as warmed-up proto-crunchy peanut butter. With spices.

Nom nom nom.

5 Likes

I’m stealing that. Thanks!

I have yet to try this recipe for Chinese boiled peanuts from Serious Eats, but the story and description has always stuck with me, and I’ve wanted to for a while. The idea of boiling them in soy sauce, sugar, star anise, cinnamon and chili has always sounded very appealing.

6 Likes

Just reading the description made me realize my spice game needs some work!

Natalie Desselle Reid Cooking GIF by filmeditor

7 Likes