Young taekwondo champ demonstrates her skills

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/23/young-taekwondo-champ-demonstr.html

4 Likes

It’s nice to crack a smile that is genuine rather than the recent spate of rictus-like grins in the teeth of Hair Twittler’s Pooptweetstorm maelstrom.

I, for one, am tired of all this ‘winning’.

11 Likes

That escalated quickly.

9 Likes

8 Likes

Thanks. I really needed a laugh.

5 Likes

Best find on the internet for ages… thanks for sharing. She’s awesome!

4 Likes
11 Likes

“He’s my friend, why would I hit him? Dancing is more fun anyway!”

7 Likes

I had a snickerfit in the middle of the library. Teh cyoot!

2 Likes

:notes:Everybody dance now!:notes:

7 Likes

Naww. I feel like she probably does suspect he’s telling her to break the board, but she’s hesitating to do that because it’s naughty to smash things.

Which, to my mind, does raise the question of why folks are so keen for their smol bebs to kick and punch stuff and people.

5 Likes

Aw, u ok?

3 Likes

1Rl8

9 Likes

Until they’re made into benches:

3 Likes

This kid, cute as they are, should obviously NOT have a black belt. These parents have likely paid over $1,000 to “train” their child to receive a black belt. While the child is adorable, what the instructors are doing, milking parents for money in return for a belt with no value, is pretty despicable.

1 Like

Experience tells me that’s how Broadway would have choreographed (and scored) a musical centering around Taekwondo.

1 Like

or, you know. the kid is having fun while being active, making friends, and attaining achievable kid-sized goals.

value has never been in the belt itself

2 Likes

The kid could get that without their parents dropping $1,000+ on a bogus belt ranking. Seriously, there are a lot less expensive ways to keep your child active.

Have we yet established what the parents paid?

1 Like

$1,000 plus would be fairly standard based on earlier belt tests and class costs, coupled with close to $500 for a black belt test. Indeed, they may have paid much more. Child black belts are a bit of a scam in the martial arts world, with parents sometimes paying 4-5 times for their children to test for a black belt before they leave kindergarten.

Don’t get me wrong though, the kid is adorable - especially with her cape.

This was filmed at a demo in Puerto Rico, which might put the cost for the belt lower. I know little of the martial arts scene there (and I’ll admit that).