Young woman overcomes fear to order breakfast

Originally published at: Autistic Woman Conquers Fear in Inspiring Room Service Video

10 Likes

As the parent of two autistic children (now in their thirties) I can totally relate, and I loved this.
Happy Love It GIF by DINOSALLY

19 Likes

Not all heroes wear capes. Well done to this person for facing their fear. :muscle:

14 Likes

I’ll bet that was the sweetest yogurt parfait anyone ever tasted. Nicely done!

14 Likes

Thank you, young lady, for sharing this wonderful thing. :clap: :joy:

12 Likes

That was very cute, but where was the crippling doubt over whether you’re supposed to tip room service and by how much?

5 Likes

lol, same. Theoretically, I know there’s people everywhere to facilitate these interactions, they’re paid for it and everything… still gotta have that script, and put on a perfect mask, or else, you know, catastrophe? doom?

11 Likes

Most (maybe all) of the people in my family of choice are neurospicy. We are all aware of how difficult it is for us to order food or really do anything that requires us to use a phone. I’m usually the one that does it, since I guess I can brace myself for it enough, but I am so happy that a lot of places now have online ordering!

Good for you, young woman! You’re not alone in viewing that as a difficult task and you did it perfectly. (And that parfait looks delicious!)

12 Likes

For some reason it took me ages to look it up: that’s Paige Layle. She has a Youtube.

10 Likes

Moderate embarrassment now, mildly amusing story later?

2 Likes

Oh, I am so stealing this. This is perfect.

10 Likes

I’m not autistic, but phone interactions are still things that give me a lot of anxiety. Once I make the calls I have no issues but the anxiety on the lead up is enough to deter me. My SO knows this and most of the time she’ll offer to make calls for me

10 Likes

I’m neurotypical as far as I know, but I feel seen.

6 Likes

In the past I fully decided to prolong my hunger during dinner because i did not want to be the one to call to order a pizza for delivery or for pick-up.

7 Likes

That’s a lovely way of expressing that. :hugs:

@FGD135

7 Likes

866d475c-b0f0-4f5d-86aa-4870313b221f_text

1 Like

A Helen DeMacque fan, eh? Classic.

2 Likes

… I also get hungry during dinner if there is no food

5 Likes

She sounds so self-assured on the phone! That’s a good reminder when one doubts one’s own social abilities because it seems to come so easy to everyone else. They might just be pretending and trying their best, just like you are.

7 Likes

Likewise. I suspect we may well be…

7 Likes