Your chances of having severe Covid-19 might be linked to your blood type, study finds

Stay safe. I hope you live in an area with decent hospital resources if needed. Get N99 masks.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s good to see that someone has followed up on the previous bit of research. With such a novel virus, you’re looking at so many things that could be comorbidities or protective factors, that there are bound to be some spurious correlations in the initial data that will resolve themselves as more research is done.

Hopefully this extra information will give a bit more insight into the action and transmission of the virus.

3 Likes

this type of eldon test card will tell you your blood type but you have to do it very carefully and follow directions exactly or it’s meaningless

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00JFTSPMW/

9 Likes

Interesting. Thank you for the contexts. Hopefully it helps somehow deal with this crisis.

2 Likes

Seems like the rhesus factor is a good thing…:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Wow. I feel like I won the lottery with my O-. Thanks, I needed some good news today.

6 Likes

O+ here. Off to get a haircut. :grin:

5 Likes

Some of the hypoxia in covid respiratory failure seems to be due to coagulopathy; they are now using anticoagulants to treat covid. My personal wild speculation is that maybe ABO proteins are implicated in cytokine storm and hemolytic reaction, triggering coagulation cascades and DIC in some covid patients similar to those seen in incompatible transfusion reactions. (Speculation only worth the pixels it’s written in; my training is in anthropology, not medicine.)

5 Likes

Well. Based on that, being O is pretty grand. Peptic ulcers and fertility issues but not heart desease, DVT, pancreatic cancer, or stomach cancer.
I have a personal belief O attracts more mosquitoes.

6 Likes

Sooner or later someone will ask. The answer is no, there is no way to change your blood type.

7 Likes

Glad you are okay now

2 Likes

I’ve known people who were just candy for mosquitoes, but I don’t know what their blood type was. As a type O myself, I don’t seem to attract unusual numbers of the microvampires. I do think one develops a tolerance for their toxins with exposure. I don’t react nearly as strongly now as I did as a kid.

2 Likes

One interesting test would be to look at blood group distribution as a function of geography.

There is a native people called the Bororo in Brazil that are 100% O blood type. The prediction would be that they should have a lower than average mortality rate from the virus. But the GWAS was conducted on mostly European white people. So who knows.

Chileans are 85.5% type O and have a very low 1% nominal mortality rate (meaning deaths divided by cases… 1448/122K). So actual mortality would be even lower than that since many will get it and recover without being tested or hospitalized at all. Maybe this blood type thing checks out.

8 Likes

In case anyone is interested in how the blood types break out, racially:

https://www.livescience.com/36559-common-blood-type-donation.html

As a multi-ethnic human who thinks “race” is a myth I looked this up because I was personally curious how the argument re COVID-19 and blood type was going to play out in my extended family.

5 Likes

Perhaps my theory is wrong. I’m mosquito candy and always develop welts the size of silver dollars.

2 Likes

I was looking at these on Amazon a couple hours ago, when I first heard about this possible connection. Plus, I’ve wanted to know my blood type for a while now.

My question for you is: Is a test failure using the card immediately obvious? Or is there a decent chance of a non-obvious false response, if you happen to do something wrong, but don’t realize it?

“Race” strikes me as a seriously outmoded way of thinking about… how genetics simply expresses, when animals mate with one another. Not to be dismissive of “race,” as it’s obviously a very strong and influential social construct. But at the end of the day, it really does seem to be just that – a social construct. There’s only one race, the human race, yada yada…

3 Likes

Absolutely right.

1 Like

Mosquitos love me, too, and I’m grateful my reactions aren’t that bad - and V sorry yours are!

1 Like

I’m A+. Well fuck.

4 Likes

This shouldn’t be a surprise, it was documented for SARS (aka Covid-2) 15 years ago, and this particular fact about about Covid-19 was pointed out at least 6 weeks back (good for me with type O, not so good for my wife and kids all with type A)

1 Like