Your favorite cover songs

Indeed. Is played lapstyle. I think they are called “square necked guitars” but don’t remember well. It’s very common to see in hawaiian music, as well as some styles of blues.

Bob brozman used to be one of my favourites (this is technically not a cover, I beg forgiveness)

I don’t know, I found this song searching songs for one of my road trip mixtapes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Utterly forgiven - it’s a wonderful sound and it’s nice to see where it came from.
Also, the Spiderbait version of Black Betty - definitely “Without A Paddle” - I recognise the guy from “Buffy”.
Not actually seen the movie yet:

1 Like

It’s a Lap Steel guitar; but Megan Lovell can explain more.

5 Likes

Oh, thank you, that was a lesson today.
It’s like/is an instrument I didn’t know existed.
Now I get where that sound comes from.

Just… Wow!

1 Like

Even featured a little cover song at the end :wink:

2 Likes

Wow, that video was so cool! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

My pleasure.
While looking a little further I found this (and now I want to get/make my own lap steel guitar).

4 Likes

Honestly, I played that vid back about five times, I can’t find the song.
I am most likely missing something - please point it out to me.

1 Like

And then upgrade to a pedal steel guitar!

She plays the first bars of “papa plays the dobro”, she was inspired by Jerry Douglas’ Cover of Johny Cash song. The video has timestamps. The last third of the video is the song :slight_smile:

3 Likes

And before going to sleep let me leave you with this amusing cover of “It’s a sin to tell a lie” by the cast of Star Trek: Next Generation. Brent Spinner was a quite proficient singer, having played in musicals before getting cast as Data.

3 Likes

Wow, that would have really gone over my head, so thanks for pointing it out.
But that has put me on a nice new youtube wormhole - ta!

2 Likes

That makes me think of Leo Kottke, so thanks!

1 Like

The late great Fred McKenna of Nova Scotia played guitar that way. He was born blind and largely self-taught. He also played banjo and mandolin that way, and fiddle with an overhand grip.

(The second song on the first video is Fred’s cover of Hank Snow’s I’m Moving On, just to show I’m not off-topic.)

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Something different, Ohio by Devo

1 Like

Just because I can’t sleep:

Also here:

2 Likes

I saw Marc Martel a few years ago, he really channels Freddie. He did some of the vocals in the movie Bohemian Rhapsody and he was hand picked by Brian and Roger to be part of Queen Extravaganza.

He’s currently touring with this band.

This was the audition that got him noticed.

And not just Freddie, here’s some Dolly Parton

He covers George Michael covering Elton John

2 Likes

Matthew Lillard was the best Shaggy voice since Casey Kasem. Zoinks!

2 Likes

That was mellow. Feeling sleepy myself now, in a good way…

1 Like