Your favorite cover songs

This is fun…

ETA: Does anybody else enjoy reaction videos?
If you’re not familiar, they are delightful. The looks on the faces of the younger generation(s) when they first listen to a song familiar to one of my age. Joyful.

I might have an idea for a new thread.

1 Like
1 Like

As a cover, it is less transformative than I hoped for.

“This is about when we were younger but we didn’t write it.”

And while were at it:

2 Likes

Huh. TIL it wasn’t a 10,000 Maniacs original. The song absolutely slaps, and has some unusual things going on for a pop song, so it just felt like a 10,000 Maniacs tune. So finding out it’s a Patti Smith tune was my “of course…” moment for the day. Thanks!

3 Likes

Written by Patti Smith and Bruce Springsteen, no less!

Edited as it was a collab, not just a Bruce creation, sorry.

2 Likes

Speaking of radiohead. One of my favourite covers that sprung from “remix our Nude song” contest:

(Skip to minute 1:00 to go directly to the song)

1 Like
5 Likes

Would rather listen to GWAR’s version, personally:

(with bonus People Who Died)

4 Likes

I really miss AV Club’s cover show… :sob:

7 Likes

Oh (sorry if these have been done). There’s some great stuff posted here btw thanks everyone.

and

3 Likes

Speaking of Daryl Hall and Lisa Loeb.

This whole episodes is really good.

4 Likes
7 Likes

Judas Priest, it’s Rob Halford!
I lost all track of him when Only Fools And Horses finished…

al

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Oh, don’t get me wrong, Rob Halford is a hero.

When he came out,(somewhere in the nineties, I think), it had an effect on our local metallers. (very small town). But the fact was soon acceptable even amongst small town mentality, which I thought quite amazing.

At the same time, I wish Uncle Albert could have been the face of a Norwegian Metal Band.

3 Likes

Ross McManus with The Joe Loss Orchestra Cover “If I Had A Hammer”

:hammer:

2 Likes

I clicked that with no idea what to expect. Holy crap. I’d never have picked him out with the beard and glasses, but three notes in and my 15-year-old metalhead self was happy and on the case. “Oh wow, it’s him!!!”

It was like one of those videos where someone in the family who has been away for a few years is reintroduced to the dog. “Wait, who’s this? sniff… uh… sniff sniff… OMG, IT’S YOU!!!” [collapses in a waggy heap].

2 Likes

This ones been stuck in my head for a while now…
Apologies if it has been posted already.
It is a cover, of sorts… although you’ll have to listen to pick it.

2 Likes

Or remember the time NYC thrashers, Anthrax covered Joe Jackson?

3 Likes

Our garage band covered this cover. :slight_smile: As the bassist, it made me cry and nearly broke my right hand.

5 Likes