Your favorite cover songs

Currently on ep6 of “The Brothers Sun” and this cover appeared:

It’s also the Bond-parody style opening of “Minions:Rise of Gru”.
I’m ashamed to say I’d never heard of Betty Chung - apparently she was also in “Enter the Dragon”.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Kent Nishimura, Elle Cordova and Toni Lindgren - “Your Smiling Face”

Kent Nishimura - “Rock With You”

Kent Nishimura - “Everybody Wants To Rule The World”

Kent Nishimura - “Deacon Blues”

5 Likes

No shade on Steve Howe, but isn’t Yes basically a tribute band at this point? blink

1 Like

Maybe. Once Chris Squire died, Yes died too, in my opinion. And Anderson and Howe apparently can’t stand each other again, so there’s that.

1 Like

OK, this is a TIL - maybe y’all already know this, but here i t is anyway!
And more than a straight cover, it’d more correct to talk about lineage…
The original:

The famous one (in one of the most iconic interpretations):

And the vibes are still here in more modern music (e.g. around 39s):

4 Likes

Blue Aeroplanes playing CCR Live at the Town & Country Club ages ago

2 Likes

Blue Aeroplanes again with Breaking In My Heart by Tom Verlaine

3 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

It’s sometimes a song.

2 Likes

I never realised until recently that “may the road rise with you”(which makes no fucking sense at all) is a bad translation of go n éirí an bóthar leat which means “have a successful journey”.
ETA
“Have a good trip” works just fine too. May the road rise with you just doesn’t.

4 Likes

Also, that shibboleth of the plastic Paddy “at all at all” is just a calque from ar chor ar bith, which is just an intensifier for “at all”, or “any at all”. An bhfuil úlla ar chor ar bith ann? = “Are there any apples at all?”

4 Likes

RIP Ian and Mark…

[ETA]

8 Likes

:raised_hands:

I’m a fan of Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush (got The Dreaming on the car stereo at the moment).
Never seen this before, though, so thanks for the intro…

2 Likes

Apparently, in… 78 or 79, she did a whole show on the BBC, I guess it was, for like… Christmas… It’s worth checking out other clips… this one’s fun!

4 Likes

I have vague memories of the show - I would have been fifteen.
Now that I’ve chopped in the old car and got a new (to me) one with a working CD player, I’m going through the back catalogue, one album per week, starting at the beginning.
A month in, I’m onto one of my favourites, the quirky “The Dreaming”.
“Egypt” was one of the highlights of her third album, “Never For Ever”, which I played to death last week, (again)… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

While we’re on the topic of Kate Bush… here is a great cover of Kate Bush…

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

That looked like a hell of a party.
Not heard of them before, so many thanks for sending me on a YT rabbithole with CMAT.
Their gigs look fun!

1 Like

I’ve seen it on YouTube - it pops up every now and again.

Not as great as the hot mic version of the one of the concerts on her only big tour. That’s just great to watch/listen to.

But Kate and Peter Gabriel doing Roy Harper is pretty special (I saw him supporting Joanna Newsom once).
Obviously though I first heard that song from this version:

4 Likes