Your favorite cover songs

Kamala Harris GIF by Election 2020

Everything TMC put out is amazing…

4 Likes

I only heard the original of this a few years ago. It was rereleased after being largely unavailable for a long time I believe.

Ivo Watts Russell had surprising taste in retrospect!

(He’s still alive afaik but his disillusionment and withdrawal doesn’t show any sign of changing)

4 Likes

2 Likes

The box set of the three This Mortal Coil albums, titled simply 1983-1991 and released in 1993, includes a fourth disk with all the original versions! :grinning:

Of course it’s long out of print and will cost you $400 on eBay. :sob:

4 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes

My brother and I really liked this song, ever since the first time we saw the video on an after midnight show on MTV.

We spent a long time trying to understand this verse. Until we accepted that it should be something that only made sense in English and that there was no way to translate it, like a colorful idiomatic expression of the local population.

May the road rise with you. It could only mean that the road would extend to the traveler’s destination as soon as she/he started the journey. The path is made by walking, as the Spanish poet Antonio Machado once said.

Wayfarer, only your footprints
are the path, and nothing more;
wayfarer, there is no path,
you make the path as you walk.
As you walk you make the path,
and as you turn to glance behind
you see the trail that you never
shall return to tread again.
Wayfarer, there is no path,
only wake trails on the sea.

This ad hoc explanation would make sense if we didn’t think too much about the details and accepted them as poetry.

ETA

@robertmckenna Thanks for the correct translation. Next time I have a beer with my brother, I will tell him about this saying.

6 Likes

Sigourney Weaver Movie GIF

3 Likes

tumblr_miqdjjTst41ql2w65o3_250

3 Likes

Oh, I remember this guy from the 90’s.

Hilarious, talented, and…

4 Likes

Oh yeah, this guy is totally the Limburger. Which reminds me of this classic cover out of Georgia:

5 Likes

I haven’t heard the original, but it’s gotta be the B52’s, right?

(I know exactly two of their songs, but the style is pretty unmistakeable).

Yes, those two.

2 Likes

Don’t! Why ruin it with the pedestrian reality?

Stick with the poetry!

3 Likes

Yeah, that song is especially B52ish, yes (I’m assuming the two B-52s songs you know are Love Shack and Rock Lobster, as opposed to, like, 52 Girls or Roam).

3 Likes
5 Likes

Yes it’s off their first album The B-52’s which I recommend everyone own. It was their third single, with Rock Lobster on the B-side.

It’s also on their Party Mix! EP, which is a fun, non-stop dance mix of six songs from their first two albums. I think the CD version also includes the Mesopotamia EP.

3 Likes
6 Likes

So Peter Hollens has released a slew of The Hobbit and Lord of The Rings covers. And he did an amazing work as always.

Though, for “Misty mountains”, I will always have in my heart Geoff “If he sings lower he wakes the the balrog” Castelucci cover

5 Likes

Is that the Green brothers in the first video? It looks like them?

1 Like

It was a collab with Hank Green. Don’t know if the other Green brother was there :slight_smile:

2 Likes