Your terrifying reading for today: Wargame designer outlines 4 post-election civil war scenarios

I dunno man, I’m in Fulton county and man do we have a lot of loud and proud Trumpers. It’s less than awesome.

The one thing I feel that gets left out of these sorts of articles is the role of european and canadian intelligence agencies.

Look, our northern neighbors along with the rest of the NATO countries don’t want the US to collapse let alone be ruled by a madman that bows to Putin. There’s a very real possibility that in the coming weeks that those intel agencies will leak the kompromat Russia has on Trump. Maybe his tax returns, NDA agreement paperwork, various audio/video recordings including but not limited to the piss tape and more. CIA, NSA & FBI agents might have given this stuff over to the europeans years ago.

6 Likes

One of the things Robert Evans brought up in the aforementioned podcast is that civil wars have a tendency to creep up on you and most people usually don’t recognize them as such until they’ve already been underway for a while.

For a lot of people—such as the friends and family protesters killed by white supremacist militias acting under the tacit approval of the Republican party—the Second American Civil War has been a reality for a while now.

6 Likes

Well there already is a breakaway movement.

1 Like

I’ve been nihilistically terrified enough for one day.

Yeah it’s not like we have protesters getting shot in the streets or police beating up journalists or heavily armed white nationalist militias patrolling parts of the United States with the tacit approval and encouragement of a right-wing authoritarian government.

Everyone knows the United States of America is special. That means that the government will remain unified and stable forever, no matter how much social unrest and inequality we face or how many checks and balances are thrown out the window by a ruling party that cares about nothing beyond consolidating power.

9 Likes

As do fascist regimes, which is basically scenario 4. The book “They Thought They Were Free” encompasses that in its title.

Hemingway’s quote from The Sun Also Rises about how someone goes bankrupt also applies to how a country goes fascist: “Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.”

6 Likes

This has always been the case in America. By these definitions its more accurate to say the Civil War never ended. Which is fair to an extent, but still hyperbolic to say our best case scenario is red state secession in 2021.

The author doesn’t claim any of these scenarios are guaranteed. He plays out a possible outcome for each of four election scenarios. In his own words

I want to look at those four scenarios tested by the think tank I mentioned earlier. In each case, I’ll compare it to a historic war and consider the likelihood of us getting into it and getting out of it. Most importantly, none of this is what I want to happen . I’m just simulating possibilities, just like I do every day at work. Best case scenario, this is just another wargame.

So best case scenario is “no civil war at all and this is all a thought experiment.”

That said, I think it’s naive to dismiss the risks by saying “This has always been the case in America.” We’re heading into unprecedented territory on a number of fronts here and nobody really knows how it’s going to play out.

7 Likes

Just give me a head’s up when I need to buy a shotgun and pleeeeennnnnntttttttyyyy of shells.

1 Like

That would be fucking great, but it won’t sway the non-voting morons who are chomping at the bit to openly murder people of color and “liberals”(whatever those look like, maybe white people who give them side-eye; it’s very unclear how these trigger-happy seditionists would be able to tell).

2 Likes

Americans really need to have a plan to fight if things go south with this wannabe fascist regime. Everything we have seen suggests Trump will attempt to stay in power and become a king tyrant. Hope for an undeniable Biden win and a peaceful transition of power, but be ready for massive action and violence this winter. Be ready to defend the constitution. Be ready to defend your family, your neighbors and your neighborhood. Be ready to take back America. 2020 isn’t done with us yet. It will get worse before it gets better.

1 Like

Fair - but you need to repatriate all the NY’ers moving to Philly.

1 Like

In most cases, states won’t start tallying mail-in votes until election day–often only starting the count after the polls close. Often, they can “process” (open envelopes, confirm signatures) sooner so tallying goes quicker. So early mail-in voting may not count towards election night.

3 Likes

I think you’re confusing the Troubles and the Civil War. The Irish Civil War was between pro-Treaty and anti-Treaty sides, both of whom were overwhelmingly Catholic, but with some Protestants on both sides.

5 Likes

Of which there’s already enough proof when cops are seen befriending fascists squads in their SUVs just before they run over protesters, or when they arent’even stopped and identified while carrying weapons it a way that sends all messages except the will to de-escalate violence.

3 Likes

Also, a very dangerous scenario is people who would normally vote against Trump, but this time could give him their preference just for fear of worse consequences. Their reasoning may be on the lines of “If Trump wins we’ll have mostly peaceful protests by unarmed normal people like now, but if Biden wins, then totally insane violent heavily armed fascists will take their place”.
I think whoever thinks like that is rightfully concerned, however they fail to realize that in the long run things would go much much wrong if Trump wins, because the 1st thing criminal rulers who happen to take power in a democratic country do is to take away from people any power to remove them from seat, that is, no more democracy. The world history contains plenty of examples of where it leads.

1 Like

Add this to the reading list:

Yeah, I know GoodReads must be destroyed, but it has links to bookstores other than just Amazon

3 Likes

I think that this isn’t reasonable. Following the reasoning, the best course is that Biden wins with a landslide, so the best thing to do is going to a Democratic party cell and ask if they need someone to distribute leaflets and glue the posters.