You're inflating your tires wrong. Here's how to do it right, and save up to $500 a year

My car has different recommended tyre pressures for 2 passengers, 4 passengers, and 4 passengers & luggage.

[Incidentally, they’re all printed on the inside of the petrol cap cover. Not on the door sticker.]

1 Like

Thought. Some military vehicles have the function of blowing air into tires while running. Could that be implemented on civilian vehicles too? How is that done? Would neatly solve this kind of problem, always having the correct pressure, together with load sensing by strain gauges on the axles…

Apparently, yes, it could.

1 Like

The Viairs are good compressors. Seen often in the 4 wheeling community where it’s common to vary pressure down to as little as 11 PSI sometimes and then re-inflate a 35" tire back up to 35-40 PSI.

Powertank makes a nice chuck with a built in pressure gauge. Handy when you’re inflating a tire on the opposite side of the vehicle from where the compressor is.

I would much rather spend the money on a quality gauge. Since that is the thing that you are stressing about the most here–the correct PSI–I would say you should spend $50 on a good high quality gauge that is used in industrial applications. Something where it is important to have it really be 35PSI and not 35PSI-ish. I bought one from grainger.com (liquid filled, stainless steel) and I know it will last me forever. A good pressure for cars is 0-100psi and the gauge dial is huge and easy to read in one PSI increments.

Then, I spent a few more dollars making an adapter for a CO2 paintball tank to a valve that I fill my tires up with. Works when the battery is dead… It is cordless and portable… It works where there is no power… and it costs me $5 to fill it up, which I do about once a year. So, while I may have spent more on the gauge than you did on your airpump… I have a portable CO2 version that works pretty dang good now.

1 Like

CO2? Are you crazy? Think of all that extra weight!

It’s expensive, and really only suited to off-road situations…Where you might want to seriously underinflate your tires temporarily (because it increases the area covered by the tire and therefore traction) to get out of a jam and then re-inflate them before run them far and fast enough to do much excess wear. ISTR that MINIs with runflat tires had a system to warn you when one of the tires was grossly underinflated…

1 Like

Damn dude that takestoo much brain power for most people. Most of the people dont even know how to operate a turn signal switch

2 Likes

I’m worth my weight in CO2!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.