YouTube threatens to close Aquachigger's channel after he reports "reaction" YouTuber who swiped his videos

Originally published at: YouTube threatens to close Aquachigger's channel after he reports "reaction" YouTuber who swiped his videos | Boing Boing

2 Likes

As loathe as I am to give any credit to mainstream reddit communities, the “ESH” summary from r/aita (i.e. Everyone Sucks Here) is super apt in this case.

If somebody is remixing and adding commentary (no matter how trivial), how does that take anything away from Mr. Aquachigger? I’m really surprised to see BB have this take.

If Yousef Ahmed filed the takedown complaint, then he sucks too, for obvious reasons. It’s incredibly alien to me that anybody would have millions of subscribers for commentary tracks on special-interest youtube vids, but here we are, in a capitalist hellscape where that pays your rent.

And Youtube obviously sucks for yadda yadda yadda.

2 Likes

These sorts of PIP type youtubers are becoming more common:

This one crops up a lot in my feed:

But, is it any different than a news aggregation site like this one? Maybe only in that they don’t link the the original videos.

2 Likes

The youtube algorithms should have the metadata from the uploads of videos. If any two clips give a ContentID match it makes no sense to flag the one which was uploaded first. If there is a channel with a pattern of such matches the great google AI should be more than capable of seeing that pattern. Somebody is not trying.

6 Likes

There’s 1001 apps to strip the metadata from photos before you upload them to wherever, how long would it take someone to strip metadata from a Youtube vid? I’m betting less time than “changing the aspect ratio and speed”.

They’re not talking about metadata included in the video. Google has the upload times and matches both videos with ContentID. Any automated system should assume first-to-upload is the original (with some sort of review process). I would also think since ContentID can detect pitch, speed, and flipped video, those should go to discredit it.

2 Likes

Gotcha, I see now.

I had this same issue, but even more egregious. I found a YouTube upload of a video I posted to Vimeo over 10 years ago. I filed a DMCA report with the link to the Vimeo video (with timestamp predating the YT video) and received the same reply from YouTube about making a fraudulent report and how they were going to shut down my account. I replied to the email with the response you would expect and at that point a human apparently got involved, because they removed the YT upload and sent me a standard response about the removal. I wonder if he has tried replying to their email or he just made this video without even trying to talk to them? It’s a very bad process they have over there.

3 Likes

Kind of making fun of the whole reaction video thing:

2 Likes

I’m on Youtube’s side, which ever video has the most views is obviously the correct one.

/s

2 Likes

There’s a difference between remixing, and just routinely copying popular videos and changing them juuuust enough to evade automated detection.

1 Like

Isn’t adding commentary enough? Changing them enough to avoid auto-detection seems like a justifiable method to avoid (obviously still overzealous, in this same manner) automated takedowns.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.