YouTuber reviews a pre-built $5000 gaming PC that was put together wrong

On YouTube? Unpossible.

3 Likes

It’s relatively easy for sure. I do think there’s still more room for simplification, as someone who had to stress out about making sure i was slotting things in correctly without bending any pins, and making sure i was plugging all of the cables correctly into the motherboard. But overall it’s pretty much adult Lego at this point, there’s only so many ways things plug into another.

3 Likes

Yeh putting together working components has gotten a lot easier, especially with tools like pcpartpicker, which is relatively foolproof. But that leaves room for some fun challenges like custom loops, custom 3d printed parts, etc. Not to mention endless tweaks to get the most performance out of your system without setting something on fire…

it crowd maurice moss GIF

6 Likes

How on earth does one end up spending $5k on something so bad as that? You can hop over to Lenovo or HP and buy a workstation for about $2k to $3.5k these days, and then buy the latest NVidia card, and you’re done, and it’s all professionally built, supported, warranty, high quality stuff.

You just described 90% of YouTube. :joy:

4 Likes

Thanks for summing that up. I was expecting they were going to spend at least ten minutes fretting about the cabling not being precisely arranged to provide an extra 0.1% airflow optimization, or something.

This should probably be better publicized; I’m glad I read about it when putting together a PC a little while ago. (Some blurbs suggested it was disabled by default due to the potential for instability, or something.)

2 Likes

I’m not saying that people aren’t saying that but it’s ridiculous. Without XMP, your RAM is underclocked below advertised speeds and it’s rock solid on supported motherboard/RAM combinations. At worst you’d want to do a burn-in test, which is probably exactly what paying for a 5k machine should get you.

1 Like

$5000 will buy the parts to build this box at Microcenter, (as that’s about what I spent there earlier this year on the same CPU, mobo, RAM, video card etc.), but then you’re going to spend a couple of hours assembling it.

If you screw up the fan directions, it’s your own fault.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.