Youtubers with millions of followers are dropping out, citing stress and burnout from algorithm kremlinology

Related…

3 Likes

As long as I can find my Rhett and Link on Good Mythical Morning, I’m good.

1 Like

Is that what you do when you are out of arguments?

Anyway, the argument “don’t go after the employers, because the poor workers need the jobs” always come back and is never true. I think it was used in the begining of coal mining: “the chidren need to work down there, who else is going to feed them?”, etc…

What really happened is that the world made legislation to improve work conditions and the employers adapted by lowering their profits and did not close the mine and fire everybody because the world steel needed the coal.

In parallel, youtube is absolutely dependent on creative people producing good content. It just can get away with not paying them properly, driving them to work up to unsafe levels (the subject of this thread) and slowly pushing them to only issue what brings in advertising money. But if google could not do that and pretend that someone whose income depends solely on addsense is not a google employee, google would still need the content.

And think about it: I am certainly not the person to judge youtube artists, because I don’t often watch youtube. But there is one think I know: someone who managed to grow an audience of hundred thousands supporters must have talent in video making. That talent is wasted for addsense pennies on youtube.

3 Likes

It’s sad how much Alphabet/Google has pressured YouTube developers to keep mixing up the algorithms that it’s harder still to find new content unless it fits a very narrow set of acceptable conditions. It’s why it’s getting frustrating for me when I want to watch certain LPs of older games like Septerra Core or just watch someone explain the chemistry behind something like black powder (CodysLab got hit with this once a while back). All I can say is that if they keep this up most of the interesting contributors to YouTube will probably vanish along with me as a viewer. Good luck monetizing a non-existent audience.

2 Likes

The fault in that reasoning is that it presupposes that “there is youtube, it will always be there unchanged and there is no other business model”.

I had the curiosity of looking up Elle Mills. The videos to not correspond to something I can really relate to (let just say that I am not american), but I can understand the appeal. She is obviously talented.

Her talent and the number of her followers is worth considerably more than what google is paying for.

Moreover, google is only interested in two kind of videos:

• videos which show the product advertised for (as in “unboxing videos”, who watches those?)
  • videos that increase your base of followers, so that more people get to see the ad.

Everything else is wasted on youtube, if you intend to live off google adsense. In the end that is what the so-call “algorithm” means: with the knowledge big data gives them, google can directly correlate each video with the number of products boughts. They know that Mr. Jones watched youtube and the next day bought product Y in the shop that maps pinged for him on his way to work and that Mr. Jones rather bought product X the weeks before, so you get one tenth of a cent. The video where you informed and inspired your audience did not sell the product and will not be paid.

1 Like

Not a problem for google. They’ll spike your search results and overload you with notifications on your phone instead.

1 Like

Luckily for me I use an iPhone and disable all notifications. I’m basically the nightmare of every marketing nerd.

Likewise. Notifications, email subscriptions, and the like highly annoy me so i do everything in my power to ignore most marketing. For Youtube i’ve avoided their big push for notifications from their app, i prefer manually checking my sub feed and checking for newest videos there.

1 Like

But the iPhone is not a google approved phone (which is the reason why I also use one).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.