Youtube's ban on "hacking techniques" threatens to shut down all of infosec Youtube

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/03/nobus-r-us.html

2 Likes

All you fabulous BB’s have a safe & awesomeness 4th of July!

tumblr_m5k8lwLIVD1r2ntmlo1_400

9 Likes

I hope it doesn’t impact nextgenhacker101 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXmv8quf_xM

2 Likes

So what is the lesson we should take away here? The only way to stop bad guys with computers is good guys with computers and better software? And the only difference between white hat hackers and black hat hackers is intent and many people are too lazy to differentiate the two?

4 Likes

lol, that’s great. obviously dallastx13 is his username.

5 Likes

That’s a shame, I work in IT and watch a lot of these kinds of videos to understand how the exploit works so when my boss sees something on the evening news (a.k.a. it’s already too late if the news is covering it) I can explain to him how the “hack” works and why we’re covered since we’ve disabled the feature that was hacked or updated the software or firmware at that point to remove the exploit. Without the detailed information we’d be jumping through all kinds of hoops all the time and not knowing if we’re actually secure or just think we are.

11 Likes

This article is a great example of the problem with ‘platforms’ - the only trouble here is YouTube’s monopoly, and the effect of this one private entity’s editorial decisions on the viability of this researcher/creator’s message.

5 Likes

Youtube does not have any sort of monopoly.

Cool, no problem then

2 Likes

Not saying their policy isn’t shitty tho

1 Like

Oh agreed. If this is a question of ‘only relevant media platform threatens entire venues of speech distribution,’ that’s one thing. If it’s ‘random corporation makes stupid/shortsighted decision’ then it’s hardly worth discussing.

1 Like

We need to get serious about some kind of open-source peer-to-peer Youtube replacement (Don’t be Google).

3 Likes

Updated to add

After this story was filed, a YouTube spokesperson replied with some talking points on background. Per the company’s request, we won’t repeat them.

If no one can repeat them, they’re not exactly talking points, are they?

16 Likes

So … mission accomplished then?

1 Like

Fuck off Youtube.
Last time I checked this was not planet China SUCKS in the galaxy of This sucks camel dick!
Censorship. Just like China.

Peertube is an open internet alternative to youtube.

3 Likes

Ahem!, computer systems that can be bypassed are not, by definition, secure.

13 Likes

I stumbled about the same familiar sounding justification of „bad guys figure it out anyways“.
„How-tos“ about lockpicking or videos exposing vulnerabilities in IT security are not the same, as open access to firearms, but I’m pretty sure also „bad guys“ educate themselves with YouTube videos and other forms of (theoretically) openly accessible tools.

If you have any content on youtube, but not also on another video site (like vimeo or the like) it’s the same as not making backups.

Youtube is not to be trusted, I learned that years ago.

3 Likes