Youtube's ban on "hacking techniques" threatens to shut down all of infosec Youtube

Hacking is NOT a Crime!

The purpose of HACKING IS NOT A CRIME is to raise awareness about the pejorative use of the terms “hacker” and “hacking”. Specifically, the negative connotation with which the terms are so often associated. Proceeds will support hacker community non-profit groups and conferences as well as the procurement of merchandise for awareness campaigns.

Initial beneficiaries are BSides DFW, BSides Austin, BSides San Antonio, Steel Con, Hak4Kidz, r00tz Asylum, and KidsSecuriDay. We are expanding as funding our campaign operations permits.

We encourage those using the term “hacker” in a negative context to consider using the term “cyber criminal” instead, since “cyber” and “criminal” are descriptive of the activities and are ubiquitous terms with which many are already familiar. We also encourage anyone encountering its misuse to politely remind the author or speaker of this and when appropriate to use the hashtag #hackingisnotacrime for helping us to raise awareness.

www.hackingisnotacrime.org

hinac

3 Likes

also tryout LBRY, afaik it’s also open source on github with a desktop client. I have been amazed about how many youtubers already began to switch to that decentralized platform

2 Likes

Now, I know that YouTube won the video hegemony after Google bought them up and killed their original homegrown service, but I am curious as to whether other video hosting services like Vimeo have similar policies, and how they are enforced. And no, I am not interested in whatever Facebook is offering as a YouTube competitor.

In the end, this is simply Yet Another Lesson™ in how even natural monopolies are not good.

1 Like

LBRY is Blockchain based.

Until the energy wastage of blockchain systems is addressed (all blockchain enthusiasts I talk to handwave that problem away and mumble something about ‘alternative proof of work systems’ ) blockchain systems should not be used.

I understand the need for decentralized ledgers, but climate change is a more pressing problem currently.

5 Likes

Yup, and we could name it, say, peertube.

1 Like

If alarmists like you had your way we would all be living in caves with no electricity since you never fail to ignore all the benefits of everything that contributes to your global warming, climate change or whatever you are calling it this week boggeyman. Your hysteria over a trace gas making up about .04 percent of the atmosphere and less than a 1.5 degree temp increase since the industrial revolution linked to CO2 by nothing more than correlation equal causation logical fallacy is the real threat to life as we know it. Go put your money where your mouth is and try to do without everything fossil fuel has a central role in providing and see how far you get. One upside: your prattle wouldn’t be on the internet anymore.

Science begs to differ.
I hope you like Mad Max.

2 Likes

I don’t think science has predicted Mad Max :confused: Unfortunately.

Not exactly. It simply means you don’t have another copy that you personally uploaded to another video site. You may, for example, have 100 backups or even more elsewhere. Dare I say, you might even have LOCAL BACKUPS! Agreed on the YouTube trust point, however.

Exactly! This may be the stupidest sentence ever written. If they intentionally worded it this way, and it made it past a solid editor before publication, we are in for some effed up times ahead. Fuck off, YT!

Just stare at the stupid:

It hurts not just the eye balls, but also the brain matter.

YOUTUBE IS A WRETCHED HIVE OF SCUM AND VILLAINY

SOURCE: ever having visited youtube for even the briefest moment

2 Likes

This may sound like a commonsense measure, but consider: the “bad guys” can figure this stuff out on their own.

Not all of them can figure it out on their own. In any case, public disclosure by a researcher only helps “bad guys” figure it out faster.

Not justifying YouTube’s ridiculous ban, just pointing out that it’s a tautology that disclosure of any vulnerability only makes it likely that more people will know about (and possibly exploit) that vulnerability. To argue otherwise is to argue against logic itself.

Like most places, it has nice parts to it.

why is it trying to open an alert video in front of the video i’m trying to watch :cry:

You mean an ad? I don’t see those anymore with adaware/adblock.

“helps bad guys,” maybe

“only helps bad guys,” no

Congratulations on attracting the ire of a drive by climate change denialist / fosil fule booster in a bOing bOing thread on …

checks title

Youtube banning videos on “hacking techniques”.

Quite impressive.

It’s a talent I guess :confused:

If you make a living with videos uploading everything again the moment YT decides to shred it is a bit late. Better to have a ‘live backup’ on standby.

It depends upon the science. Some sociology models do suggest a collapse of civilisation, and eventually the survivors coalescing into scavenger civilisations. Science is not monolithic.

Besides, the unspoken part of Mad Max, especially after The Road Warrior, is that we all died. There doesn’t seem to be much left outside of Australia, and even there only a tiny portion of the population survived.